Today I have mainly been V5.0

Picked a stunning day for a trip to Lerwick

Slightly wonky second pic due to ferry pitching reasons

23 Likes

Preparing to fuck up an interview tomorrow morning :grin::flushed::scream::skull:

4 Likes

If you need any advice on how to fuck up an interview, I can help :+1:

2 Likes

:rofl:

A shorter, time constrained route today. Around & up Sheepstor which is the the lump beyond the reservoir pictured here.

We set off just East of the tiny hamlet of Sheepstor, along a green lane past a recently deceased lamb (not sure why) and out onto the moor in search of the Yellowmead stone circles.

These are a curious feature, a set of 4 circles of stones dating from the Bronze age with the largest circle some 20m in diameter with stones up to maybe a meter high. There are also various stone rows in the vicinity although many have been repurposed in nearby walls & as boundary markers.

Yellowmead Circle

The walk then took us around the Eastern side of Sheepstor across a brook coming off the moor.

From this side it was a fairly gentle climb to the top of the tor which gives fantastic views in all directions.

view South towards Plymouth sound

We headed off the summit again looking across towards the twin peaks of Sharpitor (left ) and Leather tor.

into a plantation at the foot of the hill.

The trail lead us back around the West side of Sheepstor just above the reservoir & then eventually back down into the hamlet.

St Leonards chúrch is notable as the resting place of several members of the Brooke family otherwise known as the white Rajahs of Sarawak. They were originally invited in to run a part of Borneo by the Sultan of Brunei and were both successful & fairly popular in administrating the region for over 100 years.

The Brooke mausoleum in the church yard

I forgot to take a picture of this sculpture above the church entrance. (stock pic)

In what is now a private garden next to the churchyard there is a not so ancient stone circle but in the centre of that lies a large granite slab with a heavy metal ring. It was here that a bear or bull might be tied and baited for sport using the local dogs.

In Sheepstor, adjoining the churchyard, is the old bull-ring. The stone peg and the ring are there to the present day. After divine service on Sunday afternoon, a bear, if it could be got, otherwise a bull, was baited there, and the youths of the parish sat on the churchyard wall and enjoyed the sport. All that is of the past, and in the bull-ring has been erected a shed for tea drinking, and the consumption of cake, cream and gossip “,

A stone well in the wall next to the lane leading back to the car.

The steep side of the tor (often used for climbing practice) viewed from the lane.

A short but interesting circuit this one & the rain stayed off which was a bonus.

25 Likes

Thanks Guy. Brilliant, as always.

1 Like

I love reading your journeys. Please keep them all - they’ll make a great book.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea.

Being incredibly sad.
Late last night we heard of the passing of a dear friend of ours in Corfu.
Salamah was a Syrian refugee who settled in Greece after fleeing his country with his brothers. His brothers settled in Germany and I once asked him why he didn’t go with them - too fucking cold, was his reply.
Salamah met a wonderful lady, Dora. Dora had just left an abusive husband when they met. She had two, young children and Salamah stepped in to the role of dotting father - the children adored him til the end.
The family split their time between Athens in the off-season and Corfu in the summer where they had a restaurant. They worked long hours but were so happy together.
We only knew them for a couple of years but spent a lot of time with them, staying talking and drinking with them and their family long after the restaurant closed for the night. We were invited to family meals and treated as one of their own. And then Covid happened and we couldn’t see them for two years. We were due to go back later this year, but now we’re not sure.
Dora and Salamah had just decamped from Athens mid April to get the restaurant opened for the new season, and this has happened so suddenly. Dora was FOH and Salamah was a self taught, gifted chef. We now await news on what Dora and the family will do next.
Rest easy Salamah. You were a beautiful man with the kindest soul and I’m so glad to have met you.
I’ll raise a glass of ouzo to you tonight and dilute it with the tears flowing down my face.
RIP

25 Likes

Sorry for your loss Dave. You’ve done a superb job with your write up though, very heartfelt.

3 Likes

Lovely write up Dave.

Condolences mate.

1 Like

Lovely sentiments Dave, so sorry for your loss, condolences to you all.

1 Like

Lovely to read, as always. The skull and crossbones is a nice touch :+1: once you’ve seen one, you’ll spot more in and around churches.

1 Like

…something in my eye…

Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Mrs M has just come back from the vets with Muddy dog (aka Bumble on account of being blind and bumping in to things). Prognosis not good - looking like cancer of the kidney and/or pancreas. Vet says when you’re ready bring him back.
I’m in fucking bits. What a shit fucking 24hrs.

11 Likes

Oh shit, I’m so sorry to hear that mate :cry:

1 Like

Sorry to hear of all the crap that’s going on right now Dave.

Stay strong and give us all shit, it might just help.

1 Like

Mission accomplished :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Fuck. Very sorry to read this Dave. Shit does happen in clusters unfortunately.

1 Like

Fucking awful time you are having of it right now Dave.
Really sorry to hear this

1 Like