Today I have mainly been V5.0

Please elaborate.

Taking advantage of the decent, if not exceptional, weather for my day off.
Eating

And drinking

10 Likes

Neighbours have turned up

2 Likes

Packing for the return journey, oh joy another 10 hour flight :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My tip for long haul flights is to take a fistful of valium after take off, sleep through the whole thing and wake up fresh as a daisy just as you’re coming into land. You’re welcome. :grinning:

4 Likes

Amytriptaline is the best I can manage :thinking:

Couple of nice days out this weekend. First to South Devon where Sis & BiL were staying in a rented cottage on the estate at Coleton Fishacre. This is a NT property, a very nice house built in the late 1920’s by the D’oyly-Carte family who owned the Savoy & put on operas. We didn’t go inside this time but the house is of a scale where you could still live in it & has some of the best interiors I’ve ever seen (Art Deco). We did a circular walk down through the fantastic gardens then around the coast path towards Torbay stopping at Scabbacombe bay for a swim & turning inland at Man sands.

Being a temporary resident of the estate (!) we were able to BYOB onto the terrace behind the house in the evening once all the visitors had gone.

Scabbacombe

Coleton Fishacre

Then, in complete contrast, to Banger racing at Launceston yesterday where the whole event had a very ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ vibe.

A RWD ‘non-contact’ race

This Z3 was quite effective.

All human life was there

A couple of rear ended mini bangers still going well

Great fun to watch, some real thrills & spills & some very good driving too.

18 Likes

We want to banger racing the other year. They all end up as front half car with shopping trolley rears as theyre all FWD now. They did do a ‘classic’ race with RWD (BMW, Merc, Jag) which was good but caravan demolition derbies are the best.

2 Likes

I spent 4 hours carrying out a Merlin survey (under license) yesterday. It took me to the top of Lamb Hoga which I accessed via a steep gully on the NE facing side. It certainly reminded me that I need to improve my fitness!

Looking North over Papil Water from the Lamb Hoga plateau

Papil Water is a popular Loch for visiting (and local) fly fishermen

The view SE with the Wick of Tresta in the background

I should have descended via the same gully but decided to try an adjacent one which became a bit too hairy in places!

22 Likes

No problem. In extremis you could always phone the emergency services to get you out of trouble.

Oh 
 hang on 

1 Like

They did have separate RWD and FWD non contact races (over & under 1600cc) the eventual winners of which raced off against each other. I couldn’t work out what would be best for getting around that track quickly & to be honest there didn’t seem much in it with regard the lap times of either type.

One of the quickest cars there was what looks like a Mini pick up in the first pic but I think there wasn’t much real Mini in it except the front end shell which was over what looked like a custom chassis and rear wheel drive.

1 Like

Witnessed a deliveroo guy run a red light and be hit full on by a 4x4.

Unbelievably he was pretty much unharmed but his bike was halved in two and the poor woman who hit him was a total basket case.

I think the only reason he wasn’t killed instantly was that she had been static when the lights turned to green and was maybe only doing 10-15 mph. A very very lucky guy to be alive but I feel really sorry for the woman she won’t be driving again any time soon I think.

It was like watching one of those old safety films of crash test dummies being hit by a car - fucking mental.

2 Likes

I saw a Deliveroo guy get smashed up by a bus. TBF he had tried to cut it up, which was probably unwise in hindsight.

Everyone was running towards him to help and he stood up, righted his (mostly destroyed) moped, hopped on and drove off.

Spot the guy with no license, no insurance, no nothing.

I’ve been away for a few days Dave and only given the forum a half hearted glance.
So sorry to hear of your sad news today, a terrible time for you but to end his discomfort/suffering is the most unselfish thing you could possibly do. It’s never nice, but the poor lad must have felt terrible, it takes a caring owner to do what is in their best friends interest.

2 Likes

This guy was on one of those big electric fat tire bikes and going at a fair speed when he sailed through the red light. He was more concerned by the fact that it was a new bike and he wouldn’t be be to make any money now.

I can understand to an extent if your that desperate for money but I would imagine tomorrow might be a different thing when every part of his body is screaming in pain.

Still can’t believe he got up after being hit full on tbh.

BiL got T-boned on his motorbike and kind of walked away but that was just shock.

He was actually quite badly mashed up and still walks with a slight limp.

That’s exactly what happened to him as well and having plenty of experience of crashing on my bike I would guess his adrenaline was pumping at first and overriding any pain but by fuck he’ll be in shock all right.

3 Likes

Looks like I am at very little notice heading back to the Alps to retrieve the car. Might make a slight detour on the journey home and visit this place:

2 Likes

And I’ve just realised, 3 mins before the train arrives, that I’m wearing odd shoes. Just the look you want when going to listen to Hifi worth more than ones car.

8 Likes

Channel your inner eccentric crypto-billionaire.