Today I have mainly been V5.0

One of the things I read advised to add lime to the soil as it doesn’t like that, bit difficult with tarmac though :joy:

Low in nutrients and prone to dry out completely to normal root depths. So yeah, Equisetum loves it, because very little else does.

It’s helped massively.

1 Like

Oh bless you :grinning:

So buy a C and then you can play proper music…

1 Like

I had that dreaded weed…it came with some free paving slabs for the ICI Billingham…Took 15 years to form an underground cable network like a telephone exchange around my garden …I sympathise with you…I was told to squash the flower part so weed killer would penetrate it otherwise you were wasting your time,lots of telephone calls to many garden centres who didn’t really know a lot about it …In the end I got 8 full size skips,dug down 3 ft and removed every bit of soil… left the garden over the winter then laid some weed suppression felt …I used the flag stones to outline the garden boundary stood upright concreted in then barrowed a few ton of hardcore/ dolomite …I then designed my garden to be one with a paved circle coloured stones ,lots of different features etc … I have lots of planters and 6 old chimney pots which I flower fill …no Mares tail has been seen since …Evidently you only need a small piece say 1inch long for it to start again…it took me around 12 months
this backbreaking and tedious project. But it was worth it !

4 Likes

8 Likes

A picnic with Patch

14 Likes

:sob::sob::sob:

Receiving a free ticket to the T20 game tonight at Nevil Rd between Ireland and South Africa. Nice.

3 Likes

Patch just doesn’t care. No lamp posts, not a problem, I’ll just have a piss right here. Fruit of loin seems impressed👍

Unbridled, Freestyle, Equal Opportunities. Patch has much to teach.

2 Likes

It seems Mares Tail is what is popping up in the limestone rock bed (pebble size bits) I created to suppress weeds!
I have been pulling it out as I find it but it just comes back. It has only arrived since the thick layer of rocks went down (5 to 10cm).

At least it’s the right side of the garden fence for now…
Maybe it isn’t that though. I’ll try and photo it.

Something like this, I believe -

:roll_eyes: :rage:

I don’t think that’s Mares Tail the flower on that one is like a dandelions

6 Likes

Jaysus, feck that. I could spend a fortune doing that but as it’s in pretty much every garden up the road I’d be pissing in the wind.
Plus it doesn’t flower. It’s an ancient type of fern and chucks out spores. It is fucking inderstucktible

1 Like

That’s what I was told about Mares Tail …but ! A little determination and I beat it !,

1 Like

That’s Canadian fleabane. FWIW, European fleabanes used to be used in straw mattresses and pallets as they really do deter pests.

Equisetum looks like this (male plant L / Female plant R):

They have a high silica content - when burned, the ash makes a good fine polishing medium.

2 Likes