Today I have mainly been

Burning the prunings we took from the plum trees in the Spring, and eating too many toasted marshmallows.

I’m sorry, but that’s impossible

1 Like

Are you toasting them on the plum prunings? :grinning:

Yes, the toasting sticks were fashioned from plum twigs.

1 Like

Mmmmm…plum smoked marshmallows…sounds delish! :yum:

Making a promotional video in the hope it buoys the economy and bolsters goodwill to all men

5 Likes

Sitting drinking tea and wondering how I’m going to manage my schedule for the day.

4 World Cup games, Rugby Test match and an ODI and that’s before I try to fit in a couple of hours birding and walking the dogs.

Life is such a challenge.

11 Likes

You need a PA Paul :sunglasses:

1 Like

1 Like

You forgot the rugby U20 World Cup final of England Vs France.

Now you’re complicating things :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Easy, use your BT or Sky box to record the stuff you can’t watch live.

I hope you are watching NZ kick France’s ass in the rugby at the moment…

1 Like

Yes, but I’m just off out for a couple of hours birding now.

Yesterday I had a near two hour meeting with the head of HR. The shop where my workshop is, is closing and a huge new store is opening around the corner, where the men’s and women’s wear are to be combined. There isn’t going to be space for the tailoring workshop. Obviously, with a large mortgage and responsibilities in the shape of wife and kids, all this is somewhat worrying! It’s another of those junctures where a less responsible part of myself wants to bin it off, take my chances and go it alone. I have even discussed downsizing the hifi and putting a workshop in the back of our living room! :scream: I’m in my mid-fifties now though and the safe option of steady wage wins. :frowning:
Anyway, I am assured that the company want to keep the dep’t open and that we shall be moving east to the Clerkenwell HQ. Trying to work out who my allies are in the company is tricky, especially through the HR ‘wall’ but it looks like I shall be sucking corporate cock for at least a while longer yet.

I do the sort of job that every fashion student would kill for but actually, working at a major label is a very hard enviroment. The company is owned by a huge luxury goods group, is highly corporate and the relentless nature of the industry is exhausting. I am in Paris all next week working on the Men’s runway show, which is likely to mean 5 x 16-18 hour days - I have had a shit load of important (:roll_eyes:) ‘pieces’ dumped on me that the designers have failed to organise over the previous six months. A thankless task; basically, ridiculous complicated shit that nobody wears which can also be cut from the show at the last minute, and about a world away from the refined hand tailoring that I aspire to. Hurry up, wait, waste your time, bye.

So, mortgage/responsibilities = must keep job. Keeping job = turkeys voting for Christmas. I had no idea when I was a kid that adult life really just means one compromise after another. :neutral_face:

17 Likes

Sorry to hear this Ritchie, uncertainty is a bitch. You can either stick with it for a bit and see if things become a little clearer, or use the opportunity to ply your trade elsewhere.

Appears to me you have remarkable and sought after skills, there will be others who would kill to have you designing and making clothes for them. This might be an opportunity to negotiate hard at the the top of your game, stamp your feet firmly and get what you want/ deserve.

2 Likes

This sounds like a real pain Ritchie. I can’t offer much practical advice - you’ll know your circumstances/options much better than I ever could - but you have my sympathy, for what that’s worth.

Fortunately it’s Lopwell in a couple of weeks. I suggest you lure someone suitably senior from the company into your car, drive them down there and we will hold their feet to the fire pit. I find that usually works.

VB

4 Likes

Difficult times and difficult decisions - hope things work out well for you Ritchie. Your skills are amazing and I’m sure that you’ll pull through in one way or another. All the best, Dave.

Getting ready for our town festival. There will be about 25 bands over 2 days with 2 stages on the High Street. Loads of food wagons and a fun fair. Entrance is free and I reckon at least half the town turn our. It’s always a fantastic atmosphere. Off to walk the dogs first and then 4 pm to 11 pm music and beer.

4 Likes

I did my best at ‘going hard’ and it is definitely an opportunity. I just re-read my post and it looks like I’m complaining, at least I have work! It’s just the hard, even brutal nature of working there. This next week will be the experience of working there in microcosm; exhausting, stressful and thankless. I shall be ready for the Lopwell weekend for sure!

1 Like

When we last discussed this Ritch, we agreed that your skills are in great demand but you’re not such a good marketeer/salesman, so landing the right orders might be more of a challenge. So you must find the best tailoring sales person you know in the business, persuade him/her to leave their job and throw their hat in with you.

Then set up a new company together and kerching!!! :heart_eyes::sunglasses::heart_eyes:

6 Likes