Tonearm bias

I can well imagine that a lump like the Arche with an Io attached may well require a heavier counterweight than even the largest supplied for the Groovemaster. You may need to have a word with Marco to see if they do one.

Have chucked the protractor back on and this is the overhang grid, the stylus tip is sat on the line.

In that case, what Guy said.

Not even a heavy Io :grinning:

1 Like

I have emailed him but was just curious as Matt seemed to get it working with the Koetsu which is the same weight as the IO.

Matt’s pictures don’t show the delicate positioning of 3 muffins and a pasteis de nata that are required to get sensible vtf in his case.

3 Likes

a brother Io

1 Like

Koetsu website says 12g compared to 18g for an Io1 (from AN website) That’s quite a difference.

The Io1 is 11-12 grams according to the website.

@chelseadave Did you have any joy getting a heavier counterweight from Graham for your arm?

Yes, the brass bodied ones are more like 18-20g

Not on this site it isn’t

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/analogue/_home_cart_01.shtml

Mind you, AN websites are shit

I get that, but isn’t it the fact the speed is lower the reason more anti skate force is required?

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/analogue/cart_ioi_01.shtml

The manual is more specific at 11g

1 Like

:+1:

As I said, AN websites are shit.

Badgers are not very good at web design.

2 Likes

No, the opposite.

Ideally, bias should be equal and opposite to the stylus drag that is towards the centre of the record. This drag should be roughly proportional to the speed of the record, so is greater at the outside.

When the bias is exactly the same as the component of drag force, you would have equilibrium. It’s never going to be exact, hence one of the many distortions in vinyl.

IO 1

IO Gold

5 Likes

I don’t believe that groove speed alters the coefficient of friction between the outer wall of the groove and the stylus tip.

You know I just thought about that today and no I haven’t but I will phone them tomorrow.
He said it might take weeks when I ordered it.