Tonearm bias

The Io Gold was an arse-ache to dial in on my SME V compared to the Clearaudio Unify which was a doddle. I need another counter weight to help out a bit.

I think it alters the friction force though

I donā€™t even know what that means?

The coefficient of sliding friction is a result of the vertical force applied and the nature of the two surfaces in contact. The velocity of the needle in the groove (and the size of contact area fwiw) will have no bearing on it.

Hmm, the second element of physics I have learned this week. Coulombā€™s Law of Friction: Kinetic friction is independent of the sliding velocity. I had assumed that it acted like wind resistance, but it doesnā€™t.

Note that Coulombā€™s law is an approximation - it could be inapplicable, but I donā€™t really see why it shouldnā€™t work.

I thought that the coefficient of friction was the mathematical output of the relationship between the two surfaces, and friction was the combination of the coefficient and the perpendicular force between the surfaces?

Sorry, I phrased that rather badly, I know what it means. However, what needs to be determined is the skating force. Thereby giving us the appropriate bias force to counteract it.

Unfortunately, it will only ever be an approximation as there are so many variables - such as VTF, properties of different types of vinyl used, stylus material, surface contaminants like dust in the groove or on the stylus. Even humidity (a ā€˜wetā€™ record will produce a lower skating force, presumably by reducing the coefficient of friction)

Itā€™s a can of worms. After seeing this discussion and doing some related on-line research, I have read today wildly differing theories (usually by manufacturers who have a vested interest) on how and why skating force is caused and how it can be best counteracted. To be honest, Iā€™m almost more confused now than I was before the research.

However, this is an interesting read, if you have the time, and can be arsed,

http://www.audiomods.co.uk/papers/kogen_skatingforce.PDF

Over 50 years old, but as far as Iā€™m aware, the fundamental laws of physics havenā€™t changed since then.

No issue with that, but in neither case does the velocity of the needle in the groove enter the equation. Maybe my post above explains what Iā€™m trying to (badly) get across a bit better. If not, certainly the paper in the link does :grin:

Itā€™s an interesting article. I must ask Matt for a loan of one of his Orsonic anti-skate setting devices & watch how it behaves towards the centre of a record.

1 Like

You need to get out more.

3 Likes

Iā€™d wait for a rainy night to do it. :grinning:

2 Likes

From another who needs to get out more, Iā€™d be interested in your findings.

On a rainy day, of course :grin:

The Viv Labs explanation is also worth another look. Iā€™ve spoken to a few people who regard this as the best pivoted arm theyā€™ve used. Scroll down.

https://www.blackforestaudio.de/cms/front_content.php?idart=406

1 Like

I could fancy trying one of those.

However,

Must.Not.Buy.Another.Tonearm. :angry:

Is it fully accepted that the Orsonic measurements are influenced by skating force exclusively, or do you think the results could be compromised by other factors, such as groove modulation (modulation drag) which is pretty much accepted to increase towards the centre of the record?

It would be interesting to carry out the experiment with two very different tracking forces, say, 1g and 5g - Iā€™m intrigued to know the extent of the difference.

1 Like

One on PFM 7" stubby one.

Nameā€¦lol :rofl:

2 Likes

Like your new avatar Jim. Does it symbolise the number of goals you scored against City? :sunglasses:

My new avatar is your reply Dave :unamused:

2 Likes

Thankfully it is sold. However itā€™s worrying that you made me look!