Tonearm bias

Actually it isn’t the PFM one. But I’m still not going there. :grin:

Bob Marley once said (In discussion re: monogamy) “A bird can’t fly on one wing alone” I think it’s abundantly clear this extends to tonearms also.

1 Like

I had never heard of this gadget until today.

I think I want one. Actually, no, stuff that - I NEED one!

1 Like

Good luck, I can’t find any. If you find more than one, let me know please.

1 Like

Will do. Maybe we could have one on a timeshare basis?!

1 Like

Contrary to what might be expected I gather the short one 7" is actually the best option

1 Like

Really? That does surprise me.

Me too but I’ve heard it from several different sources. Perhaps the greater rigidity trump’s the effect of the slight improvement in tracking accuracy?

1 Like

Happy to short loan to you both.

1 Like

Very generous. I’ll take you up on that when I’m set up.

1 Like

I’ve been faffing with the idea to try one of these for a while - Nasotec Swing Tangential Headshell

“This ‘Swing Headshell’ has a very soft and flexible joint designed to make a cartridge always align with the tangent of the groove circle. In addition, the joint machined precisely has small miniature bearing inside and makes the very flexible and sensitive swings. Therefore, the stylus keeps delicate and unbiased groove tracking”…“In effect Nasotec the Swing Headshell acts almost as if it were another, and very short, tonearm”

Shit English but the idea has some appeal

So what makes it swing? Just the drag on the stylus following the groove?

Was just what I was about to ask

Yes I believe drag creates the swing. I’ve just watched this film and I can’t quite cope with what I’m seeing - the movement is similar to Mr. MWS’s mating ritual dick wave - I don’t want my cartridge to dick wave at me every time I put a record on

2 Likes

Am I imagining that someone knowledgeable said up-thread that a floppy bearing at the head shell like this is a bad idea?

Hmmm.

How does it resist lateral movement caused by cantilever travel on very loud, dynamic passages (effectively cancelling out some of the intended movement of the cantilever) I wonder?

It’s simple, like this

3 Likes

Thank you, Mr Berliner.

1 Like

3 Likes

The same as any other arm: above resonance the me of the cartridge will keep it in place. It will however lower the effective mass, as only the end part is effective in this case, so you’d need to recalculate to ensure the resonance is in the correct place.