Tonearm bias

The other issue with pivoted tonearms is why some manufacturers take the trrouble to align the gimbal allowing horizontal movement parallel to the offset angle while others don’t.

For example Rega Jelco & SME do.

While Helius, FR and Origin Live don’t

Sorry, I don’t really understand your question. Horizontal movement of what and in which direction?

Maybe I’m having a brain dead day.

or

1 Like

What is the benefit?

Thanks, I see what you mean now.

Although like Adam, I don’t see the what the benefit is?

The Arche is a lump and comes in around the same as an SPU with the Koetsu on the end of it.

The Groovemaster comes with several weights in the box - Have you tried the lighter one? If not Marco can sort you I’m sure. I use the heavy one

It’s worse than this stylus profile plays it’s part in bias

I agree, what stylus profile does the Orsonic have, Matt?

I have the Elliptical and fine line drop in styli for the Orsonic bias force checker. There is another one but I don’t have it

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of the product before Guy mentioned it. I looked on line to see if I could get hold of one, but couldn’t find any for sale.

They are a little hard to pin down but they are interesting as the results are often less than setting suggestions (Particularly with 12" arms)

1 Like

The parallel offset helps with warped records, trying to visualise the differences makes my head hurt, but my guess is it keeps the forces of the warp equal on each bearing.

If you had knife edge bearing and no offset ( Bearings square to the tube) one side would lift up as the extreme case.

Here’s a pic of my two + details N.B - It is not a perfect thing but it allows for hours of OCD

4 Likes

I was reading a link explaining it the other day while looking at the anti skate stuff. It was to do with the reaction to vertical displacement for example warps. I’ll try to find the article again when I get home later

The Orsonic bias setting device did show me quite clearly that the Jelco 750L I had only really offered Bias Off or Bias full on despite having a nice knurled graduated knob suggesting fine adjustment was possible. The Orsonic device with its various stylii options was a useful tool albeit rarer than hen’s teeth

1 Like

I get that, but I think it would have to be pretty badly warped for it to make an audible difference. I’m sure a warp as bad as that would manifest itself much more audibly in other ways, such as brief changes in VTF to name one. The forces on the bearings are pretty small and probably miniscule in relation to the design limits.

It is a valid enough point though.

My homemade anti bias contraption is a thing of beauty a hairpin fishing line o ring and 2g weight

1 Like

I’m beginning to regret having a turntable!

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=Viv_Labs_Rigid_Float&p=tone_arm&prod_id=63405&offset=

1 Like

Stoppit.

Anyway, I think that’s the one on PFM that is sold.

10 arms are enough,

for now :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

3 Likes