Tonearm massematics (aka bollocks)

Having owned various terminator arms and wands from the very earliest days (the first having the angle for tracking the other way up) I think there are still some improvement opportunities for the wand. Principally by reducing the wand component count having the bridge and wand CNCed from a single piece of 3mm sheet. Also the pivot screws being loose might not help with signal headroom.

Once set up I found it very faff free and always excellent sounding.

If you do end up making your own wand please feel free to speak to me?

1 Like

I got one of the versions with the moving pivot (as opposed to moving headshell or longer mounting slots). Fiddly, but I think better for precise geometry, so I wasn’t planning to change it.

Sorry - That comment was really aimed at Tim.

1 Like

Looks like a podded Decca, Gold or Super Gold?

I had a podded Maroon on a Terminator on a 401 about 10 years ago when I lived in London. Terrific sound. But I couldn’t get the pump quiet.

I think it is a super gold.
Yes pump was a bit noisy but there are loads of almost silent air pumps for fish tanks now.
I think Rick is going to house it outside and run tube through the wall.

1 Like

The annoying thing is I now have a basement directly under my room so could easily put it out of the way.

Super Gold ought to work really well in a Terminator. A mate nearby recently bought a s/h one and has a standard Gold in it. Sounds fab.

I had an air line run from the garage to the lounge when we had our house rewired, so no issues there.

2 Likes

I think that the Decca’s are meant to work well in unipivots, maybe because of the very different compliance between horizontal and vertical? Would that be the same for the Terminator?

The terminator deffo sounds more like a unipivot

Eh? Unipivots* don’t have much different compliance between h & v. Sure you’re not thinking of linear arms.

*Depends on the specific unipivot, obvs.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

My Super Gold now lives in a modified Mayware MkIV on Rock II. Quite why they’re suited to unipivots i don’t know but they do seem to sound better in them. A mate has one in Morch which sounds very good.

Think it is the amount of energy they chuck back through the arm.

Agreed. No cantilever so no damping of excess energy before it gets to the arm.

The trough on the Rock does the same job without the wobbly effects of a cantilever.

I was thinking of the cartridge and its compliance, arms have effective mass don’t they? But you’re right that linear trackers should be more different h Vs v than unipivots. But aren’t unipivots more different than gimbal arms?

Can’t see why they would be.

I hear this a lot, but I don’t really know what it means. I don’t see how a specific cartridge can create more energy, just a different profile of resonances

Depends how low slung its mass is, IE if its further down than it is out horizontally from the pivot.

Still, probably negligible.

I was thinking that a unipivot normally has a mass close to the pivot that is low, to maintain stability. This would increase the vertical but not the horizontal effective mass. I think.

Not sure I see how that works, you still have to move the same amount of armtube around.