Tonearm massematics (aka bollocks)

That’s what I said :wink:

Of course. Which is why when calculating resonances you add the mass of the cart. (and mounting hardware) to the [effective] mass of the arm.

1 Like

We’ll get on to tuning weights next.

1 Like

Sozzers you did - I have been drinking.

1 Like

1 Like

Is that a goat?

Yes, it is a rare English Bull Terrier goat.

1 Like

Did it find any money down there?

I don’t know, what ever it found got eaten. You are welcome to try to extract it from the front end mangling device.

I’ll pass on that

Wise, as it has about 200PSI bite strength with razor sharp teeth.

Although this big cousin has 743PSI bite pressure. Kangal

Are we going to have to have another thread spinoff: “Bob’s I know nothing about HiFi, so I’ll disrupt the thread” thread?

4 Likes

1 Like

I tried to get this one back on track by suggesting that you CNC a tonearm, immediately after that post you split it from the CNC thread

1 Like

Your timing is, as ever, fucking awful. Plus, I need a bigger CNC mill.

I’m sure you could shill up a new trend for 5" arms

1 Like

:sweat_smile: have you been spying in my garage?

I’ve always liked the idea behind the arms with rotating headshells, with clever systems to have zero tracing error. Why not work out what the shortest one you could make is?

Theyre shit. Because they still require bias - they solves one problem, without solving a bigger one (imo) and add compromise, i.e, flex, rattling bearings, etc.

Also, why short? Doesn’t make sense geometrically, e.g. when dealing with warps, etc. Minimal length is not desirable. What you want is infinite length with minimal (not zero, though) mass.

I know, but I wasn’t suggesting you do it as a route to developing the greatest tonearm ever. It’d just be fun.

Not as if you listen to records anyway :kissing_heart::wink:

1 Like