Tools you have bought/desire

I’ve been looking at knife sharpeners for a while and have become befuddled by the variety and cost. May I ask why you opted for these over others, especially as you have a professional interest rather than me who just wants to sharpen the kitchen knives. Thanks

I have often wondered whether all the hype about these was justified…

Saw this set on Amazon

and have now watched a few YouTube clips. Both kits seem excellent. But which to go for?

Just bought a mitre saw and this for demolishing pallets

Japanese foo oil? I’m in! Intrigued by the sent… Would rather geisha than Sumo :grinning:

1 Like

I’d be very wary sharpening your valuable scissors using rods Ritchie. They potentially remove a lot of material so can consequently drastically reduce the life of the blade.

Wet stones are a far better option in the long run and produce a far slicker, sharper edge. :+1:

I bought the Crock Stick because you can put the scissor blades either side of the rod and push them open once you have the correct angle , if that makes sense? I tried it with knives last night and wasn’t that impressed… I would go for one of these :

A pro chef friend of mine has one and it is very good. You fill it with water to lubricate and it has 3 grades which sharpen and then progressively polish.

I was very careful Jim, I have removed barely anything :+1: Made only one pass with them.

Makes note to ask Jim to give knife sharpening lesson at Lopwell.

3 Likes

We’ll see…:wink:

Alcohol, fire, and very sharp knives.

What could possibly go wrong?

4 Likes

Sharp knives remind me there has been a lack of daggering going on

2 Likes

I remember those horns you made for Scalford many years ago! :grinning:

we have the two wheel version for our knives and it works very well although the three wheeled version looks like a worthwhile upgrade,

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/ct/guided-sharpening-stones.htm?filter=P|producttype|sharpening-system|O;O|producttype;&sortorder=2

That is ‘down the rabbit hole sharpening’, right there. :eyes:

Not bought, but today I’ve nearly finished a smoothing plane I’ve been making. Just need to finish it off with a few coats of shellac (when postie eventually delivers it) and do a bit of tarting up on the finish.

13 Likes

Wow, that looks good. :grinning:

beech and sycamore?

Possibly the worst dectective programme from the 70s

6 Likes