Tools you have bought/desire

Vegan sausages ?

VB

1 Like

I have an urge for a Leatherman of some sort

1 Like

Just arrived a fixture that turns a angle grinder into a mini chop saw. Decent enough for Ā£25
I forgot how much of a pain deburring metal is without a decent bench and vice setup

1 Like

Not sure, Jim. The cheeks are beach. Which means I found it on the beach, a piece 4" square and 3ā€™ long which has been drying out in the workshop for a good while. Whilst I agree it looks a bit like beech, it seems much heavier and denser with quite a cryptic grain (itā€™s a bastard to plane!)

I always have this urge, are they silly?

2 Likes

:grinning:

Missed this, taking orders? :wink:

1 Like

As I said, I need to get the fire installed which is definitely going to be before the winter weather hits. Once itā€™s in (and if you give me the exact dimensions you want) Iā€™ll make you one to try out and see what you think.

So jealous of the skills involved. That looks like a great thing to build. I wouldnā€™t know where to start.

But how do you make a smoothing plane without a smoothing plane?

1 Like

Thatā€™s the hard bit :laughing:

1 Like

Great thread but in the face of such skills it also makes me feel very inadequate :unamused:

You and I both Spacy :frowning:

Letā€™s take solace in the fact we are good for nothings Mike :grinning:

1 Like

:+1: Works for me

2 Likes

Wow, thanks. Can keep it to a simple one to go in my wooden jack plane. I suspect you arenā€™t short of a bit of iron, but Iā€™ll have a root round at work and see if there is anything special knocking around.

No problem. Iā€™ll probably use 3mm thick 01 tool steel - ground flat stock - which I should be able to harden to around 82 Rockwell.

I donā€™t have a hardness tester, but the process should get it there or thereabouts. It will be evident when the honing process begins.

Tip top Paul. If you want I can see about getting a hardness test done at work so you know you are in the right ball park.

1 Like
1 Like

I have some Bridge city planes Ed, best I have used.