Toys/gadgets/tools you want

I’m not going to pay £100+ for a bread knife. I doubt it would do anything the Lakeland one wouldn’t.

I guess this is the same discussion people have about pre-amps, cartridges or cd players!

1 Like

Yup, bread foo :grinning:

… and arms - some bread knives are only ground on one side and flat on the other, which makes cutting a parallel slice a bit more difficult - a bit like the anti-skating on an arm :slight_smile:

Ours was a wedding present, part of a set of 6. They are nice (and look nice) but I’d similarly struggle to fork out that for a knife.

I’m fine spending that on a good knife with a regular blade on it, but I’m less convinced of the merits of it on a serrated knife. If I was going all out, something like this would be amazing:

3 Likes

Quite. However, come back and discuss how good your knife is after 25 years of use. Mine will have 50 years use by then :stuck_out_tongue:

You can buy a Sabatier bread knife for a tenner on Amazon that comes with a 25 year warranty. Although I do agree that the Global knives look great.

Global knives are shite, I’ve had two that have snapped just between the blade and handle.

Maybe it’s the way you use them ?

Yeah heaven forbid I should use them to cut things.

Suppose most people do buy global knives for the poncy show off factor and don’t really use them though.

Like I say, maybe you need to look at technique :rolling_eyes:

I’ve got a Global G20 cooks knife and it’s OK, but not worth the current price of £100. I bought it a few years ago for about £50 and thought that was stretching it tbh.

The blade has a few chips in it and the very tip broke off when it got dropped onto a tiled floor. I think it would be quite difficult to actually snap it though. Did you put them in the dishwasher by any chance Chris? I think that weakens them.

Bought them as a set about 15 years ago when I lived in London and two snapped within the first year but I didn’t have a dishwasher in the place I was renting so were handwashed.

I’ve still got the others and they go in the dishwasher most days, also have loads of nicks in the blades.

I bought a couple of these Myabi damasc knives last year - very pleased with them. As Jon said, they go through bread like… butter :grinning:

1 Like

That looks evil Jim. Remind me not to make any negative comments on your system in a couple of weeks!

I imagine all of the sub £30 knives are going to be of Asian (Chinese) manufacture indeed probably up to double that price. But I had a chance to try out the Lakeland one & it seemed substantial & nicely made. It also fared pretty well in some Indy group test.

Not stabbed anyone at one of my bakes yet Stuart…mind you, I suppose there’s a first time for everything :wink:

roast beef isn’t meant to be cremated

1 Like

I do like beef rare which consists of wiping the cows arse, cutting off the horns and sticking it on a plate so maybe that’s why the blade snapped.

3 Likes