Turntable sound issue

I sold it two weeks ago :joy:. I sold a spare tonearm cable not long ago too. Ffs.

1 Like

Bad timing. If it isn’t the position or condition of the cartridge it will be a wire or connecter issue. good luck they can hide themselves well.

I’ll fettle the current set up. If that doesn’t work I’ll change the tonearm which will also change the cartridge leads.

1 Like

Like @pmac keeps pointing out make sure the cart is properly aligned. Next I would just remove and reconnect the cart leads at both the cart and headshell side. Then, unplug and reconnect the arm lead at the base of the arm and the phono plugs to your phono stage. Check the sound between each step.

1 Like

I can let you have a headphone amp in the post tomorrow if that helps.

Was that meant for @clap?
Very generous offer but I have one.

2 Likes

Whoops, well caught

1 Like

That’s very kind. Let me do my fettling over the weekend and see if that helps.

Well, I’ve been fettling the turntable over the weekend and over the last couple of nights. I have cleaned the stylus with an ultrasonic cleaner. I have reset all the arm adjustments using a good protractor and good scales.

I now have one channel consistently quieter than the other. I have swopped the leads into the phono stage and the problem switches speakers.

Therefore, I think the problem is the cart, headshell wiring, arm wiring or phono cable.

If I fit the Moerch UP4 and the problem disappears it will confirm that the problem is with the Jelco or the headshell cables. If the problem persists it is the cartridge or the phono cable.

What a fucking faff.

I’ve not been following this, but are the cart connections swappable L to R in the headshell without a lot of disassembly ? If so it might tell you something about the wiring vs the cart itself.

VB

Great idea. If I switch the headshell leads to the cart and the quiet channel stays the same its the cartridge. If it switches it’s the wiring. Correct?

Other way round.

4 Likes

I changed all the headshell leads at the cartridge end and the quiet channel did not switch. Therefore, it is not the cartridge.

I will put the other arm on which doesn’t use a removable headshell. That will let me know if its either of those two.

If the problem persists once the arm is changed it is the cable from the arm to Phono stage.

Or the headshell?

The new arm has an integrated headshell. If I change the arm two wiring variables are changed. If the problem persists after changing the arm it’s the tonearm cable from the base of the arm to the Phono stage.

In bad news Audio Origami don’t service Jelco.