Upgrading LMS

I have both the Roon NUC and an ancient Sonos ZP80 plugged into my amp (“that” amp).

Because Spotify. Another (fairly major for me) issue with Roon.

1 Like

Gosh I didn’t clock that Roon didn’t play with Spotify. How absurd.

I do miss one thing about Spotify - the family sub. This meant that everyone could keep their own music. With the LMS plug-in you could have each player accessing a specific Spotify account, which was great, as the kids only saw their own playlists.

They say that Spotify doesn’t work the way they do - they want to download a feed of the whole catalogue and they can’t.

I don’t give a monkey’s. Spotify are the 800lb gorilla, you need to work the way they do. Fix your shit.

Not relevant to LMS but that 800lb gorilla is slowly but surely starving to death. All Amazon and Apple need to do is continuously prevent Spotify from hitting their break even point and they’ve been doing that every month since Spotify’s stock went live.

To be fair I understand their point - it’s to overcome the issue I have with metadata. If you go through any online catalogue’s data, it’s a total mess. I don’t know if the tags come from the record label, but they are often appalling. Roon is trying to offer a better product, and they can only do that with control of the metadata.

That said, they could simply implement a system whereby Spotify was not fully integrated, it just played. You could keep the libraries separate. This would work well for the kids/kitchen being on Spotify while the main system has the good quality and full integration.

Spotify: in competition with Amazon, Apple and Google. Good luck with that!

Google remains the under performer of that trio. If I gambled on such distasteful matters (and I don’t), I see them buying the carcass of Spotify once the capital has been burned through.

Indeed, “just” make some part of Roon talk Spotify Connect.

Google want to be streaming movies and games etc as well as music; Spotify might be a bit niche for them. It’s perplexing how useless Google are, they often cull a service then release a new one that does basically the same thing, leaving old users annoyed. Their business practices are so bad that without the simply incredible amounts that their advertising brings in they would be a laughing stock.

So yeah, you’re probably right - they’ll buy it, fuck it up and kill it, rolling it into Google Play Music rather than creating Spotify Video.

Edit: https://killedbygoogle.com/ I see that Google Cloud Print is on its way out as well, I wonder if that will make my printer into a brick.

I have a family sub with TIDAL. It actually functions sufficiently well that I didn’t even think of moving back to Qobuz when their prices change. My kids were huge Spotify users but have somehow migrated all their old playlists etc across to their TIDAL accounts. I don’t use playlists much so I am not bothered.

If you (or anyone else) is wondering how to do that, You’re welcome.

Meh!

Upgraded, not sure on the online integration, seems to still depend on mysqueezebox.com which didn’t seem all that reliable last time I used it (when they killed ickstream).

Does it? Not noticed that…

I didn’t know you could use LMS, without mysqueezebox.com.

I think it’s kinda used for some things, but I didn’t think it was needed. Mine probably signs in still, but I don’t use it.

That’s the only place I can see where you sign in to Tidal, I did and it worked.

Hello AA LMS aficionados !
I’m new here, and would enjoy discussing upgrading my current music server (LMS on an old Synology NAS) to an Innuos. Does anyone here have experience with Innuos ? They are fully supportive of LMS (7.9, then 8.0 with their upcoming package release early 2021), yet they only give access to their webUI which is quite restrictive… For example, I’d really like to “port” my LMS prefs folder from the old NAS onto the Innuos… hmmm looks like I need root access, PuTTY etc… any suggestion or hands-on experience to share?
Thx for reading me this far, and Happy Holidays .

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

I have had some very sophisticated LMS setups, with quite complex custom browse schemes set up. And I have changed the server setup many times, often when I get something more powerful etc.

My view now is that it’s just not worth bothering to port stuff across. Setup is so easy, and plugins are just a tick box. If you have playlists etc, just make sure that they are saved to folders with the music (so I have my music in /Music/Tagged, and playlists go into /Music/Playlists and so on), rather than on the Synology or Innuos itself. Then a transfer is dead easy.

I should also make my obligatory point that a Raspberry Pi makes a great LMS server, can also do Plex, miniDLNA and the like at the same time, and generally works really well. Just sayin…

1 Like

I run an Innuos Zenith, and before that, a Liv Zen.
Dead easy to use, very reliable, great support, and sounds good.