Vegetable faff šŸ†

I started this thread partly to share veg faff recipes between us but mostly because I realised Iā€™ve spent many years just making things up or being inspired to do something similar with adaptation to what I have in the cupboard rather than following recipes as such. Iā€™ve always been a bit meh about concepts like ā€˜authenticā€™ or strict definitions of what is or isnā€™t a particular dish.

I now want to spend a bit of time learning new stuff by following recipes etc to expand my horizons so keep the recipes coming!

This is something more or less exactly how Iā€™ve made it before off the top of my head before finding out that Nigel Slater has gone and copied it! This is my some of my favourite style of dish, I love grains and all this really needs is some type of very garilic flatbread to go with it.

1 Like

Considering most of the curry recipies come from a Cornish seafood restaurant owner I donā€™t think authentic is a reality.

Rick Stein? Most of which curry recipes?

Majority of mine came from helping friendsā€™ mothers who came from India and Pakistan etc in the kitchen and then adapting or more likely forgetting bits of them as time went on.

Having spent a significant time working in India, Rickā€™s recipes can be found there i recognise some of them.

or Pat Chapman.

My Biryani comes from the mother of the agent I worked with in Dhaka.

Never mind keto spam, Iā€™ve been left with these ugly bastards.

What are they even supposed to be, Hitler veg?

1 Like

Jerusalem artichoke.

2 Likes

Great for wind :pleading_face:

You can find vegetables? :hushed:

1 Like

OK folks. How would you cook corn on the cob?

Please bear in mind it has to be easy.

And before some smart alec tells me I shouldnā€™t have bought it, I have no control over the contents of the veg box.

Thanks in advance.

Get all of the outside off, stick in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Spread butter on it, or an alternative if you want massive disapproval on here.

Eat

Spend the rest of time picking the skin out of your teeth.

In the absence of a charcoal grille (whereupon, reduce boiling time to 4 mins and finish on that), thatā€™s the way.

1 Like

Bbq related note: tongs are the correct implement for retrieving the cobs out of the water as long as you clack them together twice before use.

2 Likes

:laughing:

Otherwise, thanks guys.

This.

What are you conjuring up to have with them Guy?

Absolutely no idea, but they need eaten before the next tsunami of veg turns up on Thursday evening.

At least this week was predominantly salad - Iā€™ve eaten a hell of a lot of leaves, tomatoes and mini cucumbers.

3 Likes

Youā€™re on a slippery slope to full Ottalenghi :rofl:

Ah yes, the man for whom a ā€˜simpleā€™ recipe is defined as having fewer than 35 ingredients and taking less than two full working days to make.

Shhhhhh!

More like Heston Gelignite :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Late but, Mexican Street Corn (Elote).
Brush grilled corn with a mixture of sour cream, mayonnaise, chili powder, chopped coriander, and lime zest. Cover this well with crumbled feta (Mexican cotija cheese if you can find) and sprinkle with smoked paprika, serve with lime wedges.

6 Likes