WAM show in the shit

With anybody else I might have said, Meh, lightweight ! but don’t think I’ll bother, eh ?

I loved Scalford, the first 3 years in particular were fucking epic - some of the high points in my (later) life. I wish we could time travel… The fact the hotel was a bit shitty was part of what made it - nothing unites Brits more than a common factor to moan about!

Like the 'Wam at its peak, it was the people running it that made it so fucking good. You can’t slap the same name on something and expect the same result.

Mind, Scalford itself has re-opened recently… . . . . . .

8 Likes

So ………

I’m up for it.

1 Like

Me too. But only the 2-way Direkts. And I am really rather drunk…

1 Like

I reckon my ATC SM40s and Cyrus sigs will fit into my estate. And the LP12.

I’m drunk too👍

2 Likes

Me too :+1:

2 Likes

Good work lads, looks like we have us a hifi show :+1:

Cheers! :beers: :beer: :tropical_drink: :cocktail: :wine_glass: :champagne: :tumbler_glass: :clinking_glasses: :beers: :beer:

5 Likes

Harking back to the birth of this wanton spitechild (AA), there were many conversations about a show. Via acidic distillation, it transpired Scalford was about socializing, catching up with mates or making new ones. Mostly it was a laugh. Very few people said they spent time in every room or particularly cared for all of the systems therein…Less so for the food (Other than imported pies) or indeed much of the music played.

This gave birth to a mongrel in the form of Lopwell and in turn settle. There was also talk of an Indian restaurant takeover, an instillation at a brewery or posh country house.

There have been some capable systems at Lopwell but curiously most of the daytime is spent in the kitchen or round the fire (Or fending off marauding Brownies) Oh and eating / pizza / BBQ, fire pit tending Coffee faff / Booze faff —> there’s a wheelbarrow of that too.

The system tends to get ‘plonked’ down and left alone for the most part with the odd bit getting swapped in…Quite telling of what Meatmen are actually ‘into’.

12 Likes

Quite so.

Lopwell is a middle age men’s food festival which happens to have a hifi plonked in the corner.

The fire pit outside gets more hours of attention than any music played (especially when Terry is allowed his 30 mins).

3 Likes

Lopwell pretty much encapsulates it’s online persona. I like the freedom of the place, you can literally do whatever you want but everyone mucks in (We have never had to ask anyone to tidy up) Enjoys the setting, gives generously and laughs heartily. Meatmen are the right kind of cunts.

1 Like

Apart from that time we had to scrape @Rob998 off the sofa first thing in the morning after he’d been limoncello’d

4 Likes

The only hi-fi stuff that I actually liked at Scalford were the thrown together monster systems. Ultimately I never really want to listen to your music, which I don’t much like, on your hi-fi system, which I don’t much like.

So Lopwell and Settle both ticked the interesting hi-fi, sure, but they had the most important bits, which were social. Giving us the freedom of our own food and drink were huge advances as well. And not having the general public joining us (apart from brownie invasions) is a huge win.

I have fond memories of Scalford, sure, but what we do now is much more fun.

5 Likes

For the many of us that had never seen valve kit let alone unusual speakers or horns, Scalford was really eye opening. There were makes at scalford most of us had never heard of and were unlikely to see and hear anywhere else

It was also a chance to play music fairly loudly all day.

Yes it could get very tedious hearing Alison Krause again, but equally it could be fun following it with the prodigy or something equally different and the reactions when you stuck on music the exhibitor had never tried before could be fun

6 Likes

At first glance I thought that was Coco and valvebloke.

Eating requires stamina. The gentleman’s nap is sacred at Lopwell.

16 Likes

I’d have put the bottle down before nodding off.

Sloe Gin tasting & perfect steak slivers ftw

4 Likes

Oh that steak

1 Like

16 Likes

Err, keep up (or great minds of Pokemon think alike etc)