Wanky car tech

On my Skoda Fabia and VW Passat there is a key in the remote fob. On the car, there is a key hole hidden behind a pull off bit of plastic on the external door handle. If the remote fails, it is possible to revert to the old-fashioned method of using the key.

I have a key inside the fob, and no clue where to stick it, either to start the car or open the door!

1 Like

It’ll be a panel on your door handle.

RTFM :disappointed:

1 Like

My Mercedes flashes a big red triangle and beeps at me when I’m about to hit something, or am within 100 meters of anything or going through a width restriction.
The lights also jig about like Michael j fox holding a couple of torches trying not to blind other traffic users. 80% of the time this works fine 20% of the time it’s bloody dangerous.

1 Like

My Toyota Auris does that.

The worst thing the Auris does is that when you are in slow moving traffic it assumes you are trying to park so bleeps and tells you how close you are to every car and bush.

1 Like

MGs do that too.

Hmmm

3 Likes

Wanky auto blower fan speed / controller.

This nice (when it works) feature automatically sets the blower motor to the speed needed to attain / maintain the cabin temperature you set.

Only trouble is they use a snowflake temper tantrum resistors in the unit, cheaply made in China (no doubt for pennies).
These fail and you are stuck with blower full on usually, or rather oddly in our case full on at start up and if you so much as breathe on any off the A/C or heater controls it immediately goes to the lowest fan setting, throwing a total hissy fit and resolutely ignoring all manual intervention thereafter! Until next start up.

I have the said part on back order from China!
They fail on pretty much all types of car from my interweb trawls.
Manual and auto A/C / heaters alike it seems.

Also positioned in the most wanky to access place under the centre console too! Contortionist lesson comes free.

Some of the older ones could be opened, not so with this one - all sealed up.
If it didn’t work at all I’d break it open and solder some audiophile resistors in :joy:

When the new one eventually arrives I will force the old one open and see what’s what.

1 Like

Hyundai sat nav. Guided me home fine (I knew the way anyway, just for traffic etc). Parked <10m from home.

Got into car 2 hours later for school run, and the sat nav is still guiding me home. Keen.

2 Likes

Bloody electric handbrake in my 3008. Failed last week , £400 later it’s sorted. That was with a secondhand part. God knows what it would have been with a new unit.

£3008

6 Likes

3008 problems and the car is all of them.

After several French cars all of which were utter shit boxes even the brand new one. French cars can get in the fucking sea. I like the country, and love the food but the cars are crusty wank socks.

1 Like

Having issues with my 2010 3008. £400 a couple weeks ago to sort the electric handbrake , now engine management light on reading as intermittent fault. Cleared it at the start of last week then it came back on after a few days.

It all went downhill after the tour de force that was the Renault 16.

1 Like

I’ve had both ends of the Citroen spectrum - a 2CV that was super-reliable and a CX that, er, wasn’t.

1 Like

Had a Pug 405 est turbo dieseasal in the the 90s. That was new and had no issues.

A very 2nd hand ZX dieseasal 2nd car was very tough and reliable.
I even towed Caterham race car with it.

Marie / daughter had a Cit citybug. That was also tough. Toyota hi-lux in its genes😂

My dad had a blue Renault 16. Lovely car and lots of nice memories conjured up because of your post. Thank you.

Shitroen BX TZD. Was ok until the hydrbollocks when mad. Press the brake, the back jacks up. Was worth 50p and a book of green shield stamps so off to the scrappy it went.

New Pughoe 406 coupe v6. Pissed fuel everywhere, sensors blew regularly and started overheating the month before the lease was up. When asked if I wanted to buy it when the lease expired I actually shat myself laughing.

Pughoe 407 coupe v6 diseasel. New gearbox, blew all its sensors and developed a whine over 50 mph that no one could fix. Handed it back to the finance company and ran away.

Never again. Some of the new DS and Pughoe efforts look pretty nice but I’m not falling for their pretty face with a minge full of syphilis.

1 Like