WANTED Active Subwoofer (10-12")

thats what I was kind of hoping, or more importantly the sub I can justify spending the dosh on at this wonderful time of year :shushing_face:

So…I’m back on the hunt for a sub, and trying to understand where a minidsp would sit in my system. I think* all sources, including phono stage go into it, the signals are sent to my amp? Assume this means ADC/DAC for the phono signal which I am not too keen on, given I’ve made a big effort to get the sound right on the analogue front end? Guessing the minidsp conversion shouldn’t deteriorate the source signal? Just trying to understand if I should get a sub with built in DSP or not…

Just run your speakers full range, and take the pre out to the sub.
The DSP only corrects the subs response, and integrates it to the room.
If it comes with an external mic, it will also integrate it with the speakers response.

1 Like

Thats it in a nutshell. Only you can decide if you can live with processing analogue signals. It has never bothered me.
Mini dsp allows for multiple crossover and eq profiles so you can tweak vinyl and digital sources separately, if that floats your boat. Cutting an upper mid hump for example from your main speakers could be beneficial.
Really, all the mini dsp is is a fancy graphic equaliser.

1 Like

What speakers are you using again?

1 Like

Sonus Faber Olympica 1. Problem is I’ve heard the floorstanding Olympica 3, so now want more bass/low end.

That might not be a bad thing at all, as I am sure my room is less than perfect. After all, if I don’t like it, then I can take the minidsp out and see if I can integrate without it. That should be a laugh.

1 Like