WANTED - Aleph 2 Monos

Only for him, not for you :grin:

vintage-ads-l1290-speakers-clean_1_639f0a4f24a0054fef2d0d0706f41a59
ADS L1290s

These are the speakers.

2 Likes

Oh yeah missed that bit. Not familiar with those

Suspended wooden floor? Is it grnd floor and can you get into the crawl space underneath? Stiffening floor and isolating speakers from floor can help significantly.

I had a run-in about 7-8 years ago with the incompetent Italian fantasist/liar/imbecile/thief/cunt/mark-as-applicable who owns Onix - also owns a small range of other no-account shell brands. All the various websites have the same shoddy look, all feature pics of kit you’ll never see, all of it’s actually made in China, none of the people or companies named on the websites actually exist - it’s all made-up. I don’t by any means know if this still holds true, but the current Onix website looks awfully familiar…

I was uncharacteristically lucky and managed to get to the root of who I was really dealing with and rattle him enough to recover the money I’d put down against a pair of loudspeakers (another abortive brand; can’t recall any of the names now). I wouldn’t touch that Onix shit with a bargepole - it wasn’t much cop 40 years ago, and I can see no reason why it’s worth the asking now - even if you did actually ever receive anything…

Was it this guy?

If this is a genuine ad I’d be really tempted to try this…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143666391286

Yeah suspended wood floor, and crawlspace underneath (in which spent many hours among spiders etc to run a dedicated circuit to the rack heh). Its a new thing for me, my previous room was concrete floor. Ordering some new spikes this week actually.

1 Like

Why?
Do you want to isolate the floor space or couple to it?
Spikes couple and will increase the boom from the floor massively.
If you want to isolate look at stuff they use in studios.
I use Auralex Gramma which are well over 10 years old, they now make some lower profile units

4 Likes

Good to know, I was just going to try these and listen:

Pretty sure I used to smoke that stuff when I was younger.

1 Like

I smoked it just this morning actually. These actually seem more up for the job: https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/soft-fat-dot

If that little pad does the job they will certainly be unobtrusive, not too expensive an experiment, be good to hear how you get on :+1:

Not sure they will be man enough for the weight of your speakers!

They are not lightweight speakers that’s for sure. To be honest, the floor being a bit live doesn’t really bother me too much unless I’m playing pretty loud, its more the inconsistency in bass peaks and troughs around the room. Will report back tho!

I moved from concrete floor to suspended wooden floor and suffered booming and ill defined bass. Tackled it above and below the floor:

1. under floor I placed an acrow prop / trent strut between floor and joist below each of the two speakers
  2. above floor I sat the speakers on granite slabs which were isolated from the floor and then sat the speakers on vibropods.

Transformed the bass

Location of speakers and listening seat in room can also massively change effect of room modes, i used Cara software model to optimise positions

Best if luck

4 Likes

If you managed to get an Arrow prop (sic) under the joists, it must be more of a cellar than a crawl space!

acrow prop / trench strut - auto correct on phone :roll_eyes:

we have about 80cm crawl space, trench struts start at about 30cm

I sat a paving slab on the dirt floor, rubber pad and trench strut with another rubber pad where it meets the joist, then cranked up the strut so it was pushing against the joist. one under each speaker. Stiffened the floor up nicely and really address the boom

1 Like

Yes trench struts :+1:

I could try that, definitely enough space but maybe too much, I’d say its a meter from dirt to floor.

Back to Aleph tho; I found a possible buy, but I was sent this pic in a batch and wondering if anyone knows if that dark bit top left is suspect? Without knowing too much, does it appear to be some sort of heat damage? I may send them up to Pass for service regardless, since its not too far (I’d drive up there in hopes of a “tour” if it weren’t for covid).