Wanted: CDP / Transport to about £250

I know, I know, death knoll, rip and stream, etc etc …
I do, however, need another CDP, as my Doge 6 is becoming more and more unreliable and I haven’t found anybody confident that they can ‘repair’ it.

So any recommendations, or even better, anybody got anything half decent they wouldn’t mind selling ?

Death knell

3 Likes

Harsh, but fair.

1 Like

I have a Micromega Duo.bs DAC that will improve most cheap CD players. Just stick it on the end of a cheap DVD player with a cheap coax cable. £100 inc delivery.

1 Like

Plenty of decent “legacy” CD players out there for your budget or less. A decent DAC with a couple of inputs (for other devices) and you are laughing.

Thanks Ian, but I’ve got a half decent DAC already.

I just had a look on ebay for transports, they seem to have held their values remarkably well for something that is entirely redundant. I clearly know nothing!

I think it’s because people think that having a separate DAC somehow future proofs CD’ s.

Once you have the DAC though, you may as well get a streaming system

2 Likes

I guess a half decent Transport would do.

Yea but 1000 CD reasons and computer faffery reasons and unreliable Wi-Fi reasons and outlay reasons and particularly, one big feckin’ computer luddite reason.

Auralic Aries or similar, job done

and the CD’s, shonky wireless and pathalogical aversion to computer audio problems are solved, how, exactly ?

These seem unique problems to you. Been streaming for about 8 years without a CDP and not experienced any of these.

Well done

2 Likes

Are you still buying CDs then or is your collection a bit of a legacy?

If you don’t play them very often then I’d agree that ripping them would be a poor investment in time.

I tend to buy them if I like the Album, but not enough to buy the vinyl, so probably only 2 or 3 a month. I do listen to them, prolly a couple of hours a week.
The whole streaming thing is just a waste of a short life, imo.
I don’t want to need to have a Degree in Computer Science to diagnose and fix the frequent Wi-Fi issues, for instance.

Different strokes etc.

I cannot remember the last time I bought a CD, and my streamer is connected via ethernet cable, so that might explain my preferences.

My router is 2 floors down and 20 metres away. I don’t see how that could be done, other than wireless, practically.

Ethernet over copper / power.

Have a look on Amazon for TP-Link powerline.

4 Likes