Wanted - Decent Cassette deck

I had a Dragon back in the day - prolly runs the Teac very close for knobbage

3 Likes

Somebody had a fettled Dragon at Scalford a few years back. Sounded a lot better than any other cassette deck I’d heard.

2 Likes

They were all budget jobs.

You need a proper one, that comes in two boxes…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-RS-9900-Cassette-Deck/183576409909?hash=item2abe01b735:g:eM0AAOSwSn1b6HlR:rk:1:pf:0

Absolutely. Do everything you can to squeeze out all 11-bits of fidelity.

All my hi-fi kit was budget and second hand in those days.I was but a skint teenager!

Nope. I have no cassettes. I binned them all in 2003. :rofl:

I’ve currently got one of these:

It’s awesome, you can pretend you are sat in a car in the ‘olden days’.

1 Like
1 Like

Before anyone thinks of it, I have already cornered the market in pre-recorded DCCs from eBay.

Please form an orderly queue when you’re ready to submit to the inevitable.

2 Likes

Pfft. Come back when the rest of you have a Teac R-9.

Remember lusting over them in tott court road

ah happy days in tottenham court road , i remember those shops filled to the brim

DAT, now there is a useless format. If it was analogue, all the R2R bois would be all over it saying how wonderful it is and how £400 for a pre recorded tape is value really. :joy:

Well, £189… must be good.

2 Likes

You can play 120 mins at a time on some DAT tapes, so it would be tailor made for @MGOwner’s prog. You would only need 4 for the opening wibbly keyboard noodle.

1 Like

Used to use them for recording stuff from live events quite a bit before digital recording came into the mainstream. It’s was reasonably effective for that if memory serves. No one else could use the fuckers mind, because no one had the kit to play them.

1 Like

They used to be used as back-up devices in studios and for computers, probably accounts for most of the drives.

SMEagol (Chris) has had a few and they sound OK, but why would you want to own one? It’s yet another format you probably don’t have any media for.

DCC is another dead duck.

There were some fantastic portable DAT machines that produced genuinely good live recordings, many of which are on archive.org

I wouldn’t even mention DCC in the same breath as DAT.

As used to record (on a microphone FFS) Pick Of The Pops on a sunday afternoon, the trick being to fadethe song just before Alan Freeman spoke…

1 Like

384kbps MP1, doubt it sounded great

Who knows, I have certainly never heard one.