Wanted: Turntable upgrade

The Palmer turntables were bang average IMO

Regardless of customer service etc.

Those big/top of the range type Pro-Ject decks are very good and provide excellent VFM. Also, the dealer support is very good. OK so there is little cachet value, but you can’t listen to cachet value.

4 Likes

This was years ago when Russ was first starting out making plinths, probably around 10 years or so.

PS it was Russ that told me about it.

1 Like

I’d have started with Vertere and Bergmann in any case…

1 Like

Stop digging!

Who’s digging :wink:

1 Like

Digging for bait then

1 Like

I have a Bergmann but even so I’d recommend them despite Johnnie fleecing the unsuspecting for counterweights…

I like the Bergmann turntables. They just wouldn’t suit most of my favourite cartridges.

1 Like

1 Like

Should have been front paged on the Wam years ago to save the innocent from the passive aggressive bitches.

There were no innocents - only deserving cannon fodder…

The whole self-congratulatory circlewank should be nuked from orbit now…

1 Like

It was a lot like an asylum where instead of being unable to separate the in patients from the psychiatrists, if you were a stranger or dispassionate visitor you couldn’t separate the trolls from the bullied from a psychological point of view.

I’ve been using the Planar 10 that lives here all day today and do you know what? I forget at times just how bloody good it is. Complete absence of fuckery too. Comes out the box in a way that anyone with opposable thumbs can set up, is light enough to be moved around without pretending you’re a World’s Strongest Man contestant and it just works. I don’t doubt for a second that something used at the same money can probably do better but you get an absolutely hassle free way of enjoying records that sounds unreasonably good. I can see why normal* people buy them.**

*To a given value of normal
** I would be persuaded to do one time faff and fit an aftermarket cart if I were spending the money.

5 Likes

You say this like it is a good thing. We want turntable faff :rofl:

1 Like

He also said normal people

:wink:

1 Like

Good point.

1 Like

Never heard one, but it looks nice and you will get a fiver change to spend on a secondhand LP. :smiley:

I would like to make two statements about the Prime that are superficially contradictory.

1. It is one of the very best sounding turntables I’ve heard at the price.
  2. I absolutely, 100% could not live with one.

It’s huge (too large for the OP I suspect) and the arm is literally the embodiment of evil. You could put it in a modern art gallery called ‘essence of cunty’ and it would be completely apt. Think you’ve set the azimuth? RONG. You have nearly set the azimuth. You will then spend another hour fucking with it and find, you have only succeeded in unsettling it in a different way.

1 Like

Yeh, I’ve read it is a pig to set up, but when done it is sounds good.