What Do You Want For Christmas?

I must try more. I grew up with flinty dry Clare Valley Reislings. I have enjoyed Alsatian but still prefer drier styles.

Sodders and Samantha.

6 Likes

In which order?

3 Likes

And which side up ? *

*Yes, I know. Iā€™m going to hell !

1 Like

I really had my eyes opened on our long weekend to Berlin with regard to their wine and its variety. Only just starting on this journey, Iā€™m pleasantly excited about what Iā€™ve experienced so far.

We were in Frankfurt a few years ago during the Food & Wine Festival. Lots of tastings but the only standout wine was a Rose.
It is time we experienced some more German wines.

We went to this place

http://rutz-restaurant.de/weinbar/

A ā€œwine barā€ attached to the main restaurant, it really was more about the wine than the food - great fun.

Used to go to the wine festivals in Germany, my local one was Bad Durkheim and was luckily just a tram ride away. Well worth a visit.

Used to enjoy a drop of federveiser at some of the wine fests but doesnā€™t half give you the trots when mixed with pork.

1 Like

Germany does some really great white wines, they just donā€™t tend to let much of it leave the country as theyā€™d rather drink it themselves! As such, you tend to have to hunt out a decent wine merchant to find good stuff.

Interestingly, most of the wine the French drink around here is proper nasty stuff, itā€™s quite amusing really.

1 Like

I never did understand all the fuss about French wine. Just blowing their own trumpet.

we ate at http://www.reinstoff.eu/english/ stunning local tasting menuā€¦ but it was the wine pairing that really opened our eyes.

I lived in Germany of and on and discovered a lot adout their wines. Generally the Brits shun German wine because of itā€™s inherent sweetnessā€¦ They make excellent Red wines to but do not generally export them. Baden-Baden and Stuttgart come to mind.
Also it was in Germany that I first tasted Russian Krim Sekt (red). Delish!

Somebody to pay the visa bill for Christmas.

1 Like

can you still buy these

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/atomictoys/GilbertU238Lab.htm

3 Likes

The docs say that one of the sources supplied with that set was polonium-210 !! If that was the case then I imagine the answer is almost certainly ā€œNo, you canā€™t still buy it, at least not without attracting the attention of the authoritiesā€.

VB

Coooā€¦ looks a bit more potent than the Salters chemistry set I had as a kidā€¦

However I remember doing several of those experiments at school, are they still allowed to do those?

Didnā€™t Santa bring Alexander Litvinenko one of those sets a few years back?

Not according to the Kremlin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not something Iā€™d want to receive but I have to say Iā€™m impressed by the public spiritedness of some of the perfume manufacturers. I was inadvertently dragged into a branch of Superdrug the other day & was surprised to see how many former celebrities, now past peak fame & obviously short of a bob or two, have been offered work in the laboratories of the various parfumiers. It gladdens the heart to think of Beyonce, Rhianna & David Beckham, beavering away in their lab coats until all hours developing their own particular scents. Whoā€™d have thought they could acquire the new skillsets that mustā€™ve required? Presumably they start at the bottom, sweeping up, making tea & so on & then gradually move on through grinding up lumps of whale vomit & on to the test tubes & sniffing departments. Keeps them off the streets I suppose & lets them put food on the kitchen table at the end of the week. Whatā€™s not to like?

7 Likes