What I'm watching (Part 1)

On to Season 3 now…

1 Like

Watched it last night. Don’t often see car crashes of quite that magnitude on Grand Designs.

Fair play to the chap for at least admitting on national television that he was the one who fucked up the marriage.

3 Likes

Takes a special kind of cunt to bankrupt yourself , bulldoze the family home , put you’re daughters in rented accommodation for a good portion of their childhood all because you want a dream home in exactly the same spot as the dream home you moved into a few years previously.

3 Likes

I also watched it last night. There was a hint of how pissed off the locals are with having his unfinished eyesore blighting that bit of coast. Certainly visible from out at sea which was what they wanted too!

We also watched Rocket Man which was as entertaining as a ‘musical’ can be. Definitely similar to Bohemian Rhapsody in the way that, in this case Elton but in that case Brian May & Co, have taken the opportunity to shape & create the legacy as they want the public to see it rather than have some less benign biographer do it later.
It was a handy reminder of what an achievement it was for an ordinary lad from Pinner to achieve such success and also a reminder of how many good songs he & Taupin wrote together.

3 Likes

He played the local pub as Reg Dwight but was told he wasn’t very good,couple of years later he did goodbye yellow brick road
Still not 100% sure how true that story is,but used to go in there a lot in the 80s

The son of the pub was his tour manager for a while

1 Like

@chelseadave and @stu I recall watching this when it was first shown. They just did a feature about it on the radio & it’s now on the iPlayer so I’ll watch it again.

1 Like

The 31 terminated outside the LaMonde club in the Worlds End which was owned by the Krays and run by Roy and Gerry Dennis. Great for late drinking but with extreme violence on occasions and a couple of shootings. Great memories.

3 Likes

The lost reggae tapes on BBC4 tonight at 9.30,followed by Beware of mr Baker

Bugger, sat through that on YouTube the other day.

Well worth watching though, it’s very noticeable how highly he was rated amongst fellow musicians (and by himself, of course) It also demonstrates that he was an utter cunt too, although that’s quite widely known.

And that being a relentless cunt ultimately destroyed him.

It is incredible he lasted so long.

Anger is an energy (as Johnny would say) and Ginger was brimming with it.

Saw it earlier in the year but will watch it again

Also after that,a repeat of David Rodigan Reggae Fever. A decent documentary

1 Like

Never seen it but will watch tonight.

Interesting review from a few years ago.

Really enjoyed that :+1:

2 Likes

Just watched Joker with FoL. we both loved it. I do think that the writers have been more than a little playful when borrowing from King of Comedy.

What a performance from Phoenix though.

1 Like

1:59 challenge live - I’m not entirely sure I approve of the pacemakers and the target time line thingy.
But it is very interesting for sure

me too

Comes across as an admirabe human being too. :+1:

(Bannister also had pacemakers)

1 Like

I wonder if, although it doesn’t qualify as a record, the psychological aspect of someone having done it will mean it is achieved in a ratified event quite soon