What I'm watching (Series 2)

You can officially be Ok Boomered for that. This is a stormer (albeit 3 years after that Woodstock).

Oh fuck no, most definitely not my cup of tea. Then again I never liked limp bizkit either.

Heard worse.

Blonde. A new bio pic about Marilyn Monroe on Netflix. We started it last night but were waylaid by someone coming round an hour or so in. Will finish tonight. Really good so far. Gritty and beautifully made.

5 Likes

On my list that, good to hear :+1:

Will definitely be interesting. I was trying to find a video about St Lawrenceā€™s in Caterham. It was made in the late 70s and showed the change in mindset and the horrors of old, sadly seems to have been deleted from YouTube.
One was a patient thought too ā€˜stupidā€™ who was always put in a wheelchair with small wheels so someone else had to push them around. After some years of this someone noticed that every day the patient would wave their arms down at the wheels. So they finally decided to put them in a chair with bigger wheels and he started pushing himself around. Imagine that!
Years of trying to show people what you want and no one getting it because you canā€™t speak.

My mother volunteered at St Lawrenceā€™s and helped with speech therapy when they decided to close and house the people in the community. It wasnā€™t because they couldnā€™t speak, more that no one had ever bothered to try and teach them. The stories she had of the conditions and treatment from before her time were so shocking.

One of the people I remember well Bernard, he was sent to St Lawrenceā€™s as a toddler because he was deaf, he had no mental illness. So he never learnt a lot of skills or had an education and therefore became institutionalised. When St Lawrenceā€™s closed the church took him in to do odd jobs and chair stacking. Genuinely lovely person, used to see him in the King and Queen where he would polish the brasses in exchange for a pint.

7 Likes

Shameful and heartbreaking

I may have found the perfect Spooky Nazi movie lads.

Dog Soldiers meets Nazi zombies.

4.5 :ghost: / 5

Itā€™s had some very iffy reviews. Glorifies his nastiness with prolonged emphasis on the cruelty. Does that sound right?

I donā€™t really recognise or agree with the points some of the reviews have tried a little too hard to make. I donā€™t see the portrayal or the storytelling as sensationalising Dharmer or his deeds, but obviously opinions will differ.

I wonder to what extent the controversy about this series has contributed to its ranking as most watched etc?

1 Like

I think itā€™s only a success because it is about him. If it were fictional I donā€™t think it would cut the mustard.

I think the weakest element is the performance of the lead actor playing Dahmer. He never quite convinces you that heā€™s capable of such things.

His father and his neighbour are superbly acted.

Rings of Power Episode 6.

Smashed it. Shit just got real.

2 Likes

Looks like dishless sky finally being released

Better late than never, I just access certain sky channels via NOW TV, canā€™t see that changing unless sky stop offering it via NOW TV or offer the same access for less money.

1 Like

Really enjoying The Sandman.

1 Like

Iā€™ve watched this over and over and once again tonight.

2 Likes