What I'm watching (Series 2)

Very much so. The really frightening part is that the Republican party in the US seem to be using it as a guide.

1 Like

No, wasn’t aware of it until recently!

There’ve been protests in the US in recent years with women wearing all the red garb & white veils to make the point. It is harrowing, but also very prescient of Margaret Attwood to picture that future some 40 years ago

2 Likes

The Traitors - BBC1

I never normally watch any type of reality show, and I don’t know why I watched the first episode of this one, but I am finding it rather addictive.

1 Like

Indeed. Interesting timing for the show also 2017, just as Trump took power and the fascists were emboldened.

It’s just so unrelentingly grim, there’s not a single spark of hope to break the horror and give hope. It’s great, but it really is a hard watch and I’m normally pretty thick skinned about that kind of thing. I think it’s because you could actually see it come about if the wrong people got into power.

Not. Selling. It.

:pleading_face:

Maybe not, but it is an exceptional production, right from the first series to the current one.

2 Likes

The English ep 1 to 3 this evening, real very good so far

4 Likes

As Simon said, it’s supremely well done, that’s what makes it so hard hitting.

There are little victories, moments of successful rebellion along the way that are just enough to prevent the viewer plunging into despair.

Which are usually followed by something worse!

1 Like

Currently enjoying this

Last night’s search for the perfect spooky Nazi movie led me to this

Actually better than expected, but went truly full potato in the closing PLOT TWIST three minutes. Also I now think that the guy in the PLOT TWIST who I thought was Arnold Vosloo from The Mummy, Hard Target etc.

was actually Billy Zane after putting on a good few pounds from this shot

Bloody hell that man was born with good genes. Other than the bald thing, obvs.

Anyhow, scraping the bottom of the barrel, tonight Mathew I’m going for this thing

Who is the mook with the eye patch you ask? Why it’s Mickey Rourke!

I absolutely worshipped Rumble Fish (although I may have been impressively drunk / stoned the first time I saw it) and Angel Heart

but having just watched the trailer for Warthog or whatever, umm, kids, don’t act, spend years boxing, have plastic surgery, go boxing again. It’s a really bad idea.

It’s bloody good, I love the series. Have the book on my Christmas list.

It may not be in America yet, but it’s certainly in many countries already and there are one or several European countries heading back to the stone age in that respect as well.

The narrative behind it is powerful, it can be applied not just at the level of a country but at small things that can be witnessed day in, day out. Really looking forward to the book.

1 Like

I think there’s one more series to come and then further Gilead related projects based on other stuff Attwood’s written.

I’ve just started watching this on your recommendation.

I lasted 13 mins.

Wank.

2 Likes

WANK!!

7 Likes

It’s complete toss. And then that fucking gormless moon faced skeleton rattled on to the set with her shiny hair and serious voice. Fucking hell what is the point of her.

1 Like

The trailer was enough to tell me it is complete toss.

1 Like

That fucking picture was enough for me. :grinning:

1 Like