Whiskey/whisky

I don’t like it. I love it.

1 Like

I have tried a few, but none have grabbed me thus far. I have been given a few bottles from employers etc over the years. I end up passing them on to those who appreciate them.

My Granda drinks the stuff but I don’t really like it. I remember having it with him when he was practicing his bagpipes and they all seemed to like it, I just had to knock it back.

Laphroaig is the only one I liked at all, that I’ve bought myself when trying to like it. Really like the smell of that one.

On a more serious note, I think one needs to grow into appreciating whisky or any other higher abv spirit.
When I tried for the first time, I started to drink and swallow it like I do with water. That definitely is a wrong way to start.
And still, it just might not be your cup of tea. I tried very hard to find one that my wife might like. After a few dozen different malts, none of them appealing to her, I gave up.
(On the whisky quest, not my wife.)

Me too, it doesn’t like me much though! My problem with Whiskey is that I don’t generally drink it until I’ve had a few of something else and then can’t leave it alone. This leads to headaches.

When I enjoy whisky, I drink lots of water alongside with it.
It will prevent from dehydrating, which to me is a cause for headaches.
It will also help to cleanse your palate. This is especially helpful when you do a tasting, which imo is then even mandatory.

2 Likes

I always have a small bit of good quality chocolate when I have a wee dram.

I only ever have one glass (maybe the equivalent of a double in a pub) late in the evening as a night cap and I seem to sleep better for it.

1 Like

When I drank whisky the only thing I drank with it was whisky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O53Fz9-C4cI

3 Likes

A few years ago we hosted a small conference at my work. We took the delegates out in the evening and, since it was an international group visiting Scotland, whisky was offered as part of the experience. There was a Turkish guy who said that he had really tried to like whisky and when quizzed could reel off a truly impressive list of whiskies he’d tried. He understood that single malts were really diverse in taste and just had not found a single one that he got on with. We carried on through the night and towards the end of the night I asked “…Ardbeg?” . Although he’d tried other Islay malts, he hadn’t tried Ardbeg and when he did… he loved it!

When I was a graduate student we spent a couple of weeks at a summer school at Heriot Watt Uni. They organised a whisky tasting one evening. Some people didn’t make it to the fried breakfast the day after the day after the whisky tasting. Everything … in moderation :grin:.

VB

1 Like

Now then, this is a subject close to my heart, though I can’t lay claim to much knowledge or experience. I just know I love it, as do my brothers and father. Currently drinking this Cardhu, a recommendation from a Scottish friend, and loving it. I’m tempted to try that Ardbeg.

I used to like the Speyside whiskys when quality meant something to me :grinning:
Cardhu (12 yr old) and Macallan featured heavily but George and JG Smith Glenlivet or Aberlour were also favourites.

2 Likes

I especially like this one.

2 Likes

Current favourite, Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition, something of a sherry bomb, citrus and spice with a nice hint of background smoke.

2 Likes

I’ve found Cognac has surpassed whisky when it comes to my spirit cravings. I tend to stick to that these days (or variants of it).

You might consider another glass shape, a sherry copita or tasting glass geometry like below.
The size is similar to grappa glasses.
This concentrates the aroma at the opening of the glass to enable you to nose the whisky in an easier way.

2 Likes

That’s lovely too and their prices (as is with rum) are not so hyped as with whisky.
You might try Delamain Pale & Dry or Delamain Vesper, imo both standards in their class.
Edit: sorry, will stay on topic next time. Had too much…sparkling water. I will punish myself with an Aberfeldy 12.

1 Like

I used to be a beer guy and whisky wasn’t my thing. I tried Glenkinchie and it took me a year to finish that bottle. So I gave up on single malt whisky, until I tried Glenmorangie in a tasting glass. Then it went really fast :stuck_out_tongue: I guess the hardest thing is to find that one whisky that will draw you into the world of whisky, which I think is more interesting than beer.
Now my fav whiskies are sherry matured ones like Glendronach, especially 15 years old. I also like lightly peated ones like Springbank or Kilkerran.

3 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes