Wim hof method

How did you get into it and what kind of course did you perhaps sign up to?

Essentially it is free, I use the app which is also free to record times. They do have courses and instructors around the world if you want to go further/push yourself.

Got in to it from a podcast I listened to about the guy who swam the whole way around GB

Just get your kit off and run outside into the sea.
No need for expensive courses, you have the perfect environment right on your door step :cold_face:

Iā€™ve just walked 3 miles in a force 9 and lashing rain with the girls. Thatā€™ll do for my self inflicted punishment thankyouverymuch.

5 Likes

Do it in just shorts next time :laughing:

5 Likes

Stuff like this is just a routine, and exercise types.

I donā€™t believe in magic methods, but I do think an exercise routine is helpful for both body and mind.

Not magic but hypoxia is needed to get the benefits they describe. Unless you do free diving you wonā€™t get this from normal exercise.

There are many who enjoy that effect and havenā€™t lived to tell the tale!

Totally different field of exercise, mind you.

Iā€™m well aware of this. I have absolutely no doubt it makes you feel great. There is absolutely no chance of me getting into it any time soon. Before I moved to the southwest, I used to come down to Dartmoor camping, and always dunked myself in a freezing river and felt awesome afterwards. I expect thereā€™s lots of good things happen, like blood vessels moving from your core outwards, etc. But I just canā€™t be arsed. I had a couple of cold showers a few weeks ago, in the spirit of getting involved, and it was ok. I wasnā€™t moved to keep at it though. Iā€™m already cold loads of the flipping time anyway, just from living in the southwest, in an old house, in winter. Canā€™t be arsed adding to that, deliberately. And Iā€™m doing yoga and running and gym and everything elseā€¦ thereā€™s only so much one can find the motivation for. But Iā€™m sure itā€™s excellent. Canā€™t help finding the actual name ā€œWim Hofā€ irritating for some reasonā€¦ and fed up with my interwebs being clogged up with his ā€œmethodā€, and half my friends dunking themselves in rivers all over the placeā€¦

Siri, show me symptoms of hypothermia.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been a bit of a wuss this year, only been in the lake twice so far but Iā€™m a believer in cold water helping.
Did loads last year (twice week) plus broke the ice.

Only anecdotal but quite a lot out there about circulation, brown fat as well as mental health benefits.

Just one thing about cold showers though, mate of mine started this so I measured the temperature. 15 degrees isnā€™t going to prepare you for a winter dip @ 5.

2 Likes

Nope, body temperature doesnā€™t change, not hypothermia.

Yeah, it has blown up recently. I stick to just a few things, a martial art that I teach which includes stretching cardio etc. And now this. Otherwise like yourself too many things to achieve the same thing

1 Like

Advanced practitioners go full cryo treatment and live on schumann light.
My limited experience of taking care of myself suggests anything in the extreme is probably extreme.

My mate paid his way through college by doing dry suit trials for one of the guys at our rugby club who ran the naval research in pompey.

He had to sit in a tank of freezing water wearing a dry suit with a thermometer up his arse and see how long he could handle. Think he got around Ā£25 for every hour in the water and that was back in 1988.

I did arctic training in Norway and had to jump into an ice hole, swim across and climb out.

You can literally fuck that off for a game of soldiers.

5 Likes

Similar to making choices to do any kind of activity for health etc, it really depends on what your goal is and how motivated you are.

Personally Iā€™m not all that convinced as it stands that doing Wim Hof is worth dropping the other stuff I enjoy to fit this in. Also like to see a broader base of evidence about some of the benefits of the whole thing before Iā€™d even consider it. Iā€™m soft and not keen on cold showers :cold_face:

1 Like

So itā€™s four months to the day of doing wim hof now.

This picture is reversed, round 1 is round 4, donā€™t know why it flips when it saves from my watch to the phone.

It was last week but felt great to get my breath holds over 4 minutes now. I canā€™t tell you just how calming it is to do the breath holds and I always meditate afterwards while the opioids and cannabinoids are being released around my head creating a buzz.

Cold showers are literally just the norm now and I have got myself from hot to cold whilst in the shower, to just cold showers now.

Itā€™s got my head in the right place, so the amount of exercise I am doing has gone up, feeling better in myself and eating better. So at my fittest and lowest weight I have been in ages.

Very long smug post, but genuinely worth giving it a try. The app is free.

2 Likes

A question on your showers. Is it just to get in the cold water or are you getting washed too?

All I did in the past was cold after a shower. Would be great to get to only cold.

Yep I wash cold too. I started warm shower with a cold finish. Then kept bumping up the time till I got to two minutes.
Then cold shower for 30s to hot and washing, then back to cold at the end. Now just cold all the way.

I would say, donā€™t rush with it and take your time building the time up.
When first starting stand out the flow and get your legs and hands in, then arms and shoulder, then torso and head, then turn around and back. Stops any shock from going straight in. This itself will take 30s when just starting out and is more than enough to get the positive effects.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give it a shot. Going to get on the breathing. Only did it briefly in the past and really want to get in to a routine.