Wireless door intercoms

Bit of a random one - we recently got a new front door section but it doesn’t have a spyglass and with frosted window surrounds, we can’t see who is on the other side before opening.

There seem to be a few wireless intercom units around (don’t need a remote door unlock, just a bell, wireless camera and screen to put in the kitchen to see who’s at the door - oh and lighting to see at night). Can anyone recommend a particular model?

Maplins have one from Yale. Amazon have a bunch of other makes. I don’t know if they’re the kind of thing that break easily or if there are more reliable ones. It’s not the kind of thing you find reviews of though!

I always find it is best to just not answer the door.

Maybe just shout ‘what?’ through the letterbox.

Yale are generally good at stuff. Maplins are not that cheap though.

Meant to be good,but i don’t have one.

https://ring.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiA9s_BBRCL3ZKWsfblgS8SJACbST7DQdBR93wxtWPj11AQiXXIFTmeX7o9tuvqVtwO8uaaeBoCZR7w_wcB

That sounds like what I need when I’m in t’brewery.

I have little need for one until they roll out a model with genital targeting taser, for dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Leave a baseball bat next to the front door, works for me.

I’m fairly sure, that in the future, recognition SW may have improved to the extent of identifying them from their gait. Due to their arses being overflowing with righteous piety, homophobia & general wrongness. :eye:

ftfy

VB

2 Likes

Great advice everyone , thanks. :slight_smile:

Stu - I’ve seen that, weirdly it only sends the image to your phone, not a monitor. And doesn’t have a doorbell function. I don’t see why they didn’t add that basic functionality.

Can it not be set up to phones,ipads,laptops etc?

Most commercial systems (like Paxton and Videx) will be wired, armoured, designed for high traffic and bloody expensive.

I’d find the best reviewed domestic system, with the longest warranty and give it a go. At least the lack of installation makes it easy to return.

There are some pretty decent looking ones on Amazon for around £150.

Thread zombie :zombie:‍♂

We’ve had an iron railing fence and gate installed at the bottom of the front garden at the entrance by the garage, and now it seems like a good idea to fit a remote smart door bell.

Slight fubar is that the gate is just under 100 yards from the front door, and our Wi-fi probably only reaches 40 ish yards down the garden.

Any ideas beyond having an Ethernet cable run all the way down the garden into the garage and up to the front (next to gate)? There is electricity in the garage so could be wired .

Binoculars

2 Likes

Wired intercom.

Presumably from the same meter as the house ? One of those via-the-mains intercoms might work that far, if you don’t mind having the mains that also powers your hifi modulated by whatever the intercom puts onto it.

Yes it depends if it’s on the same circuit I guess. If it is then a power line thing to get internet into the garage might work.

Tied to the gatepost.

Surely there must be a fried old progger you could hire as a gatekeeper

1 Like

Wired, ideally with nordost odin gold

The Ring Elite uses PoE (power over ethernet) so you don’t have to worry about WiFi or running seperate power but it’s expensive at £350

You can use a PoE injector to add power to the ethernet cable.

1 Like