WTB Power Amp

True but I think the increase is about £600 on a single chassis amp.

Then his initial pricing was unrealistic & naive.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to say it wasn’t a fair price. Its still eye watering vs diy.

this rebuilt ST20 would do a nice job with the Direkts

See the posts in the DIY thread last September.

I’ve been using it since then on my horns & it sounds very nice.

6 Likes

Pretty much what my amp is now. I’ll have to give the pre and power another go. Perhaps I’m barking up the wrong tree and dismissed them too quickly. Or I just wanted something different in the system? (I know that’s unheard of in the AA :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

I have one of these I could sell you. Probably misses every requirement in your list (except it’ll be well south of £1000).

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/hh-electronic/s500-d.shtml

It might not be - four EL84s, yes, but the Stereo 20 was unusual in only using ECC83s in the small-signal stages (even its sister mono amp, the TL/12 Plus, used an EF86). It also has quite a bit of feedback, giving it a decently low output impedance. And the ultralinear tapping point on the later models (which is most of them) was also unusual at 25%. They are extraordinary amps in the true sense of the word.

I’ll need to dig out the specs on mine when I get a chance and check

Funnily enough I was looking at HH stuff earlier

its been refurbed by Carl in blackpool and it was very reliable for me. It is a tad heavy and awkward to ship though. PM me if you’d like to sort something out. I don’t need it anymore so I’d be happy to sell it.

Can’t find the full specs, but did find an old invoice. Definitely an 83 in the black box…

Thanks Paul. Let me have a think about it and I’ll get back to you

1 Like

ECC83 does get a mention, but so does ECC82 and, more dramatically, “Class A/B triode” EL34s. The EL34 is quite a different beast from the EL84. There’s also talk of a solid-state rectifier.

1 Like

Sadly, Graeme, it’s all Greek to me.

1 Like

Long story short - Guy’s amp and your amp have different valves in, so aren’t really pretty much the same (pace Peter Walker :grin:).

1 Like

Still thinking of a pass?

Pass Labs XA30.5

4 Likes

How much gain does the saphire have? I’ve got 2x First Watt F4 and I’m going to sell one of them

https://www.firstwatt.com/f4.html

I think it has enough, some random who made one in a DIY audio thread was complaining that its 16dB was too much. That should be ok with an F4.

1 Like

Buy it Spence, that’s a fantastic amp for not a lot of money relatively speaking.

1 Like

I use the XA100.5 monos. That is a superb amp for a decent price. I’ld happily use one if I weren’t spoiled.

2 Likes