WTD - Proper full range horn system

Interesting, thanks. Will add to my list of speakers I’d like to hear (but sadly unlikely will).

1 Like

Seems like summat with BD5 drivers is the way to go. 2 watt amps or similar will be needed too.

I’m not sure about that, He’s currently using the Elysiums with them !

The size and price difference will be handy to some though. Seem like a decent option.

Now if I can just find another £15k!

remember talking to Tom Evans years ago and he said he was doing a piece for Axjet horns and absolutely raved about how good they sounded

Have never heard them (they use the BD4 rather than BD5 so don’t if they will be as good) but they certainly have an interesting (minion) look about them

The photo is of Tom’s lounge and he said they had a mare getting them in through the patio doors.

4 Likes

I’m not having a go, but I don’t get what a YT video recorded from a phone mic, probably played back by someone on desktop speakers is supposed to be conveying?

2 Likes

Sshhh. We need a new 45 build amp thread.

:+1:

1 Like

Does @jim have 10ft ceilings? How about the Pass Kleinhorn

https://www.passdiy.com/project/speakers/the-kleinhorn-part-1

Fair comment - I guess it’s like shooting blindfolded Vs with blurry vision, the latter at least allows for some insight. Limiting I know.

1 Like

I would rather just trust yours and Ritchie’s opinion both of which are highly valued.

1 Like

I thought they were good at Munich.

Still look like Barbapapa though.

7 Likes

I know a couple of guys who’ve heard lots of highend setups then the system being mentioned with the Pnoe’s. Consensus, they utterly rearranged what they thought was possible

2 Likes

Interestingly, it sounds like a parallel experience I had with women after going to Miss UK 2015…

3 Likes

A nice selection of horn systems photographed at Munich 2018 -

Other horns at Munich, some more successful than others…

1 Like

I really liked the Tune Audio Avaton but don’t recall you being that impressed with them?

Yes, this is the effect it had on me. There is something about the top end that I’ve not heard before, a kind of speed and snap to the sound which shoots the music at you but is completely non- fatiguing. There is an enormous soundstage and they totally disappear too. At one point ‘Homeless’ off Graceland was played and the tone of the voices and their placement in the sound stage was just mesmerising. I’ve really not heard anything quite like it. Garrard 401 for a front end too. :open_mouth: If I had that sort of money to play around with, I’d be all over them.

2 Likes

I seem to recall the first year they appeared at the show they sounded like a disparate set of drive units. Each year they have got better. I think they had them last year and it was the best I had heard them

1 Like

A good full range horn system will do DnB and techno substationally better than standard drivers.
The speed is unlike anything you will hear from a standard speaker system

2 Likes