WTD - Proper full range horn system

But also, is that a glass horn surround around the HF driver? If so, wouldn’t that cause resonance issues?

Why are you doing this to me? Now I’ll have to sell a child…

Although more seriously, I’ve only heard two horn systems at a long-ago Scalford, and remember thinking they sounded quite bass-light, although appreciate that could be due to a number of factors. I also didn’t get the ‘immediacy’ presentation that horns are meant to have. I did ask someone to explain but they gave me a warm smile and pulled out a Fisher Price radio and said, ‘I think this is more your thing…’

Its an acrylic wave guide, so quite inert. I think the frequencies that might make it resonate are going out the back of the driver and through the horn which seemed to me to be totally dead.

1 Like

Weirdly, I heard a red pair at Munich in a different year and they were absolute shite; Lovington Horn bad. I’ve heard Peter at Deco get perfectly listenable results though so I mentally file them under ‘equipment and room dependent.’

He likes Garrards now

4 Likes

Mine are pretty bass light,but that’s probably a good thing,for my neighbours

1 Like

If you bought a pair of speakers from a private seller in Europe (say Germany) and collected them yourself (in a suitable van), would you need to pay duty and/or VAT when entering the UK?
I quite fancy those AER Pnoe with the bd5…

4 Likes

legally yes :wink:

But if you were, let’s say bringing back speakers you owned and had loaned to a friend in Germany and had a UK receipt for them then no

2 Likes

So, what’s the alternative - drive through the green channel and hope you don’t get stopped?

1 Like

It’s unlikely you’d be stopped or checked too closely.

When I moved back from Germany to the UK in 2006 I hired a UK van drove over and brought everything back. I didn’t get stopped or questioned at the ferry port.

I guess if you said you were bringing them back to the UK and you bought them secondhand in the UK years ago I doubt if they will challenge for an original VAT receipt.

1 Like

You were doing the sound for a naked umpar weekender - if they don’t like it they can Contact the promoter (Stronzetto)

3 Likes

As job titles go, “horn smuggler” is pretty damn perfect.

9 Likes

Good choice. I’d love a pair but it might require me to find a separate premises for them :grimacing:

Yes. There is risk to be had when avoiding paying the government money.

What did you think of my Lowther big fun horns, compared to the front loaded systems you’ve heard since?

I realise that the bd5 driver is probably much more balanced that the Lowther, and I did enjoy the Lowthers, but I wouldn’t go back to a back loaded horn system.

They were pretty much the first horns I’d heard…and don’t forget I had watt/puppies at the time. It all came as a bit of a shock tbh, but that was deffo the start of my conversion to horns. :smiley:

Pre Brexit tho

Even pre-Brexit I got stopped in a van bringing back some failed windows from Germany for lab evaluation and I needed the right paperwork. Will surely be worse now.

Sure you would be fine if you declared they are going to be used solely for playing Elgar and the speeches of Thatcher and Boris.

1 Like

Viva Nuda

7 Likes