Ye olde worlde hi fi corner shoppe

That’s around $420 in 2020 dollars . . . for a glorified ghetto blaster :flushed: :rofl:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Bring back dome lids

13 Likes

I have the want

Spacedeck :grin:

1 Like
3 Likes
5 Likes

I thought I would start a thread for folks to showcase vintage equipment that they own, have owned or desire.

I will kick it of with my pair of PYE PF91 monoblock amplifiers
Circa 1954:
Power output: 12 watts into 8Ω (mono)
Frequency response: 2Hz to 160kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.1%
Speaker load impedance: 3.75Ω to 60Ω
Valve complement: 1 x ECC33, 1 x ECC35, 2 x KT66, 1 x GZ32.

The circuit runs the KT66s (tho I prefer 7581A’s ) triode strapped and utilize a clever combination of negative and positive feedback that enables a damping factor up to infinity. Aluminium chassis.

17 Likes

Ahhhh…didn’t look far enough back, Mod’s please tack my post on the end of the above and can this thread if you so wish.

It took me a long and frustrating hunt to put together a pair of extremely rare Rogers Eaton mono blocks circa 1954…a Williamson circuit slightly adapted to run the ‘new’ EL34 pentode in place of the original KT66 beam tetrode…sporting big old Partridge CFB double C core output transformers, Partridge mains and chokes.
It took really stupid money and I mean ‘really stupid’ for me to part with them to a Chinese collector Nut in Hong Kong.

The tube compliment is 2 Mullard EL34, Cossor 53KU (GZ34, 5U4GA), Brimar L-63 (6J5)

power rating 35 watts, feedback 20dB, weight
33 pounds, and price $199.95 (each) when new.

list delete duplicates

7 Likes

The Williamson ran the KT66 triode-connected of course. I don’t think it’s possible to get 35W out of EL34s triode-connected (but I might be wrong about that, if we’re brave enough !). Are the Rogers Eatons trioded ?

VB

I can’t recall exactly how the factory output stages were set up tho as you say the output stats suggest U/L
I have the circuit and review from an 1957 review stashed away shall have a look.

I am quite partial to the Faf free convenience of integrated amplifiers
And the Sansui AU-111 is one of my favourites.
Sansui produced this model between 1965-1969 sporting meaty Hashimoto main and output transformers running:

4x 6l6GC tho I prefer to run 7581A’s
4X 12AX7
1X 12BH7A
1 X 6AQ8 tho prefer a Fisher ECC85
which makes for a tube rollers paradise.

The output stage consists of fixed bias 6L6-GC AB1 Push-Pull cathode feedback design. Sansui designed the circuit to strive for the maximum capability of the 6L6-GCs with 485V plate voltage yielding 40W + 40W RMS Stereo Power at 0.8% THD.

Specifications
Power output: 40 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 50kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.8%
Damping factor: 15
Input sensitivity: 220mV (line)
Signal to noise ratio: 70dB (MM), 80dB (line)
Channel separation: 45dB (MM), 50dB (line)
Output: 2.1V (Pre out)
Speaker load impedance: 8Ω to 16Ω
Dimensions: 460 x 170 x 345mm
Weight: 24.5kg

14 Likes

I have a Sansui AU101 in the cupboard, the first amp I ever bought from my summer holiday job when I was 16. (1974)
The only similarity it has with the above is that the model number is close :smiley:

The AU111 looks a lovely amp chock full of lovely things !

2 Likes

Mmmmmmmm :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Added a nice little YouTube (not mine) on the above Pye PF91 post.

1 Like

I’m guessing this counts as vintage :thinking:

5 Likes

Very nice - do you still have it Mike or am I getting mixed up with the Marantz you had :thinking:

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I was kinda thinking that when typing that tbf :grinning:

1 Like