Your server setup

I have BT FTTC internet which gives me about 90Mb down/20 up, Draytek router which has a 4 port GB switch on it. This is what my “server” system connects directly to, it’s just an i5 based PC which runs as my CCTV recorder, NAS, PLEX for transcoding/replacement for Kodi and Logitech Media Server.
From there, I have Cat 5 going upstair to a Zyxel PoE GB switch which is what a Unifi Ubiquiti AC Lite AP, security camera and my other Synology NAS/PC is connected to.

The only data I deem as important is photographs, which I have backed up in a different geographic location on an hp Microserver which is populated with small SSDs and has UnRaid running on it. The Synology NAS is what my “server” uses as a file history drive. Both the server and my PC upstairs have exactly the same data on them.

I have about 4TB of usable storage but I have about 12TB in total across different places, mostly for redundancy, however.

I have Amazon Fire TV sticks and Chromecasts everywhere, all can be used for music or video playback from either internet services or the PLEX server.

TLDR

4 Likes

Do you even have a computer? Stfu

1 Like

ZX81.

2 Likes

I have a grey box under the desk in the study that says ‘Dell’ on it. I think there’s some stuff inside it that does digital things.

1 Like

Ooh, the Pi 4 has gigabit ethernet and USB3, so will make a much faster server. Was about to press the buy button and the 4GB one is out of stock everywhere!

But configuring it, will be a mare…

Needs foo cable

Yeah I saw that, it might actually be a problem with the charger I use.

Anyway I bought one, had to get a 2GB one as the 4GB are out of stock. I wonder if the SD card from the Pi 3 will “just work” in this. Would save a shed load of ballache.

To my surprise I have found that I didn’t kill my first backup drive yesterday; I’ve managed to reformat it and it’s working just fine now. Phew.

That said, I’m never using the Linux dd command again. Apparently it’s nicknamed disk destroyer for good reason…

1 Like

A bad workman will blame his tools :rofl:

dd does what it does. Did you read the man page?

1 Like

Windows updated itself unexpectedly, closing the SSH session and leaving it hanging I reckon

nohup is your friend :grinning:

1 Like

I just updated my Squeezebox server, moving it from the NUC to the Pi 4. As Windows 10 just sucks for a server, I think.

But more usefully I got a cheap (£2.85) sound card for the Pi and plugged a Chromecast Audio into the line in. There is a SB plugin called WaveInput, which routes the line in through the server. The upshot of this is that I can cast audio and it just appears on any Squeezebox throughout the house, just by pressing the right button on the Boom/Radio.

I am pleased with the simplicity of this.

so do you carry the Boom/Radio around with you like a giant remote control?

No, you just press the button on whichever one(s) you want it to play on.

I want something with storage that runs Logitech media server. Realistically I’m not going to have time to fuck around with a pi or similar. Suggestions?

Get a pi and an image with everything on?

https://shop.max2play.com/en/sd-karten-emmc-module.html

I for one, did not see that coming.

11 Likes

It the pi comes with an image preloaded it’ll be no harder to set up than a NAS or a windows pc, and miles cheaper

If you want something more computerish, buy a small NUC, with a SSD drive, of whatever size you need.