Your server setup

Lot of money to run LMS… it’s not Roon :rofl::rofl::rofl:

No more than all the bits for a Pi.
For £100 you have something you can use for a backup computer, or whatever you want.

I think I’d rather use a pi as a backup computer than a Celeron with 4gb ram!

2 Likes

What I want is something stable, with storage in one box (i.e. without external hd’s hanging off it like my last pi set up) that I can run LMS on, possibly a DLNA server to play stuff directly on the Kefs, and that allows me to buy bandcamp stuff on my Mac or iPad and just drag across to a folder. Ideally it would include a back up solution like a second drive if there’s any benefit in that these days (is there even a risk of storage getting corrupted with modern solid state drives?).

If there’s an easy pi-based solution then I’m not against it but the main thing at the moment for me is something I can buy and get using as quickly as possible with as little faff as possible. I enjoyed dicking around with Linux when I had the last pi but just don’t have the time or energy just now.

Budget could be couple of hundered or higher if that’s what the right solution costs.

I ran LMS on an old Celeron desktop. Loads of room inside for disks

I don’t have any spare computers lying around

I bought a replacement base unit for £35 (I kept the old hdd with windows on)

1 Like

That’s a good idea, get an old PC for buttons. A core 2 quad with 4gb would be fine, although I’d put on Ubuntu rather than run Windows - Windows 10 is a pain to run headless, it constantly fucks things up when it updates. With a LTS Ubuntu it’ll have uptime in the months, and LMS runs much faster on Linux.

(Caveat: I actually think that a Pi would be less faff than getting an old PC and making it work)

Re backup, you could have two drives attached and use some backup software to schedule a backup every night. That is better than a RAID system. Note however that that would protect you from drive failure; the other common problem is accidentally deleting or tagging your entire library with blanks or whatever - that would happily propagate to the backup if you didn’t spot it!

I use SUSE instead of Ubuntu server now as it has a web interface for managing the server, you can also do terminal through the web interface. Much easier than messing around with SSH.

Is this the installation you run ‘ArtHub’ on?

2 Likes

Are there pi cases that would fit a couple of drives inside?

Arthub has been decommissioned, the electricity bill was too much.

Unfortunately there isn’t enough storage on the Intel NUC to copy it across.

Maybe this is an option?

An old pc should have room for disks inside

Costs the same as a Pi4 with 4GB RAM. OK, but feels a bit weird spending the same amount on a case.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking

£10
“space for internal 2.5” HDD”

Without all the fan and power button gubbins

I was also thinking once I’d got the case, pi and ssd hd, wouldn’t I be better just getting one of those Intel nuc things or similar

Even the cheapest NUC is way more expensive. And they don’t have any memory or storage included.

This. The NUC and associated gubbins I bought to run Roon Rock was over £200 second hand.

I’m failing to see any benefit of NUC over Pi myself, especially if you put Windows on it.