General election 8th June

The Tories are in a tricky place re brexit,with Ukip and many of there own MPs pulling them to the right,whilst May knows she has to go left.

Michael Hesletine was interesting this morning on the radio.

I think the youth support for Corbyn will actually grow. The realisation that their vote does make a difference is very powerful.
It doesnā€™t take a lot for internet memes to go viralā€¦
It could achieve itā€™s own momentum (sic).

1 Like

In a new election the Tories would come back to the centre right, Corbyn wonā€™t have an answer to this, his full hand is revealed so to speak. A party that occupies either left or right just wonā€™t win, or have I missed something?

1 Like

This is very valid too.

ALL of my 4 early 20ā€™s children and the vast majority of their friends voted Labour.

My children got a massive buzz from seeing their vote ā€˜make a differenceā€™.

They are still talking about it !

1 Like

Interesting article

1 Like

I was fairly anti Corbyn until fairly close to the election, but his open, honest answers when he was finally given a clear run at the media, plus the tuition fees thing (if Labour managed 2 terms, that would be my kids through Uni without Ā£40k+ of debtā€¦) swung me from a protest Lib Dem vote.

When Abbott finally ā€œwent on sick leaveā€ that removed the final obstacle for me. Iā€™m absolutely certain Iā€™m not the only one, in all kinds of constituencies.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it matters what the Tories come back to. They have lost support of many moderates. You donā€™t loose seats like Canterbury because people were a bit miffed. As Kevin said the electorate is changing and Corbyn is the person who has woken the dormant youth. The Tories have no one who can attract them, all the while they are loosing more moderate support.

Except facts can be misleading, the Tories had the highest proportion of votes since 1983, itā€™s how theyā€™ve been spread thatā€™s counted for Labourā€¦

losing

1 Like

You know what, for the first time in maybe 20 years, Iā€™m actually excited about politics, rather than in a pit of resignation about the state of it.

Thereā€™s going to be another GE before 18 months, and Iā€™m actually looking forward to itā€¦

5 Likes

I think youā€™ve missed the fact that the Tories have shown themselves to be an incompetent shower of self-serving opportunists. Not content with feeding much of the country and public services on misery for the past seven years, theyā€™re now feeding us political chaos. People are getting fed up. Hence why Labour is now six points in the lead in the latest Survation poll (the only polling company to get the election result almost spot-on with their final pre-election poll).

I must say that Corbyn was sounding very confident and prime ministerial on Marr this morning. May was hiding away at church, smiling nervously and saying nothing.

6 Likes

Same as that Rob.

Maybe, just maybe, things could change for the better. Certainly canā€™t get any worse, politically anyway.

1 Like

Praying to her imaginary sky friend for a miracle no doubt.

1 Like

The DUP will have the blasphemy police round to your gaff next week with an attitude like that.

1 Like

Iā€™ll stab them in the eyes with a used cheese and pineapple cocktail stick.

1 Like

Wot, no sausage ?

Cocktail sausages would be beyond their comprehension:

1 Like

Yet they still won more seats

Yes they did.
Labour are also now 6 points up in the polls.
I appreciate the polls havenā€™t exactly been reliable but a 6% swing to Labour would give them a decent majority.
It is all about trend. That is only going one way right now.

Before loo gets too excited, letā€™s just remember that Jeremy Corbyn came second to an idiot.

State of British politics today.

2 Likes