2023 Formula One

Strongly suspect you’re right.

Really looking forward to this weekend. Not ‘cos it’s USA. Not ‘cos it’s the second to last race. Nope.
I’m looking forward to it because it’ll be around 5-7 degrees C, long straights and few corners. Boring you say ? Should be, but as Pirellis don’t switch on until it’s in the late teens, those tyres are going to be like roller skate wheels at the end of the straights.
Those with downforce to spare will be able to switch them on. Other will sail straight on in the few corners.
My juices is flowing :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

It’s a brand new surface too.

Also mittens and a scarf for the drivers.

1 Like

Yep. Season too long. Consequences not considered.

1 Like

If F1 insists on a longer calendar, then plan the destinations according to the basic equipment.
If the tyre manufacturer won’t adapt the tyres, then the schedule must change.
Not prepared to upset your circuits ? Introduce tyre competition.

Choose your poison.

Not always sure when your tongue is in your cheek, but can’t say I look forward to races rife with DNFs personally - I want to see racing, I can go to the stockies if I want to watch crashes… Always the wrong people that go out, too…

FIA only cares about the money, so they’ll be delighted if it’s a crashy-bashy weekend, 'cos most punters love it too.

It isn’t FIA it is Liberty screwing it up, though the new FIA pres does seem to be a bit of a wanker.

3 Likes

Partly.

Good: I see a grid shaken up and cars out of place, which usually makes for good racing.

Bad: DNFs and crashes.

I fear for the latter.

Liberty thinking that a night race, in the desert, in the winter, using tyres that aren’t suitable is a good thing, tells you all you need about the depth of knowledge in that particular office.

1 Like

Yep. I have a bad habit of concatenating the two…

I suspect it may be deliberate - i.e. they know full well it’ll cause chaos and viewer data suggests it plays well with paying audiences…

1 Like

2 Likes

brutal

2 Likes
2 Likes

GM have applied to the FIA to be an engine supplier for F1.
Cadillac in F1 might not be such a dream after all.

Could be a fun team up with Haas maybe?

Makes sense; + a ‘Corvette’ rebrand.

Oh dear….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/63208918

2 Likes

There used to be a rule that any organiser wanting to promote a GP had to run a smaller formula race at the venue to test and prove the circuit and systems. This has been waived in a few cases (maybe it isn’t a rule any more) and it was often a problem. IIRC we didn’t run at all on the first day of the first Detroit GP.
It certainly looks like plenty of effort has been put into the bullshit side but not enough into actually racing. Pathetic.

8 Likes

For all the doom-mongering, that was an excellent race!!

Glad to see Max (finally) get a penalty for his nerfing

4 Likes

Circuit and grip level good = good race.
Pre event BS may help to get more uninformed fans, good or bad?

I wouldn’t pretend that the Liberty razzmatazz is my cuppa tea, but if it makes the numbers balance out for Spa and Monza cost-drivers then it’s fine by me

1 Like