Actual photography

A couple from 2012

Stunning carved wood and alabaster effigy of Robert The Bruce from St Conan’s Kirk, Loch Awe - if you’re ever in the area you need to visit the Kirk it’s quite something.

Inverary

12 Likes

Anybody bought from WOWCamera?

Experiences good or bad appreciated.

Grey import type place no? No experience though.

Yes, grey imports AFAIK.

I have two little men on my shoulders, one is saying don’t buy grey imports, the other is saying look at the fucking price…

Yeah tough call. I’d probably take the risk assuming it’s just the warranty you lose but could still pay for a repair.

The items I’m looking at have a saving of £1.5k over UK dealers.

I guess it has to be a pretty major fault to eat that saving up.

Yep and there is always insurance etc. (Oops I dropped it).

Lol

I have bought five items of expensive grey import camera stuff via Panmoz and Tobys deals. All worked fine.
I was just about to buy a 28mm lens via Tobys deals but the UK shop has just been closed - It says because of Covid.
I have not tried the shop you mention.

1 Like

I’ve been jumping from one system to another in my head, so it was really time to make a decision.

The Olympus Pro-Loan scheme was taking an age to come to fruition due to their difficulties in getting kit returned, apparently. The Sony system was being pushed by mega fanbois on here (@coco :laughing:) so, what to do?

I had a lengthy chat with a longstanding birder friend who (obviously understanding my application fully) had changed all of his Canon SLR gear for a Sony Ar7 III + 100-400 zoom and he loves it. He recommended it without reservation. I’ve seen some of his images and they are stunning.

I also contacted Sony and one of their premier dealers because I was led to believe that the A9 would be faster in terms of autofocus (not fps which it is obviously faster, but actual AF speed) Sony reckoned that the A9 or the A7 IV would both be suitable for my needs and the dealer suggested the A7 IV would be preferable due to the 61mp sensor allowing pretty huge crops before noticeable image degradation. 10fps vs 20 fps is no deal breaker for me.

Anyway, TL:DR

I decided that I had to either shit, or get off the pot…

So,

I’ve bought a Sony A7R IV 61mp body - Sony 200-600 zoom - Sony 1.4x teleconverter and a couple of Extreme Pro UHS-II SDHC cards.

We’ll see how it all goes, although I expect it might take a couple of weeks before I see it all.

15 Likes

Well, hope that after all that it does the job for you, or I’ll feel guilty!

The A7R iv should be amazing, though. Jealous.

1 Like

Nice!

The powaaaa of the abattoir.

Bullying people into buying stuff ftw! (Well, stuff I’d like for myself, really :rofl:)

1 Like

Mate, in the current climate there was no way I was going to get my hands on both systems to try them out so I really had to go for one or the other.

I’ve read more reviews than I care to remember and on balance, the Sony won the day. I only have to type ‘S’ in my browser and a page full of review links appear :rofl:

2 Likes

Lol, I won’t hold it against you :grinning:

Once I get my head around it all, I’ll be looking for a nice wide (and fast) lens too for landscapes and doggo stuff. But that’s another venture that can wait for now :wink:

That’s easy. The 20mm f/1.8G. I fucking love mine. Another one that’s under-priced, IMO.

2 Likes

Funnily enough I was hovering over that before I placed my order!

It is probably the front runner tbh.

2 Likes

Tales me to Screwfix. FML.

3 Likes