Architecture

:wink:

2 Likes

I wish councils would allow a greater variety in modern homes. It’s depressing to see the same old trad designs springing up. The only changes I notice are the houses are shrinking, and construction material is mainly cardboard.

1 Like

I’ve always admired this building (Nottingham Trent Uni) on the way into Nottingham on the Tram.

2 Likes

Can’t stand the new Central Library, have much nostalgia for the old one -

3 Likes

image taken in 1951

the front of the bit on the very left was once listed -

apparently it was listed to its method of construction. Interestingly many decades later the listing was removed (thankfully) with a English Heritage report stated it was of no architectural interest at all.

Another big fuckup by the city of Brum, in London would have been kept

2 Likes

Got mildly excited by the prospect of being in here for the day. Saddo architect

Posted this in the Any Old Pics thread, but I guess it should be in here really!

Sheffields old ‘Hole In The Road’

Did you take a look around the Exchange whilst you were there?

Remember it well from when I was there in the early 80’s. Quite a bleak & smelly feature. Piss & chips. We used to drink draught McEwans Export in a pub called the Claymore just along from it. I see from streetview that it’s been filled in & is a tram station now.

1 Like

no downtime unfortunately, reality was I was stuck in meetings all day, will try to go in when the boss is not in tow

1 Like

Yeah, it was a hot spot for the homeless/beggers, drugs and crime, nice idea but it ended up being something to avoid unfortunately.

As a subterranean construction in the middle of a traffic roundabout it reminded me a bit of the ‘Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad’ in St Petersburg.

That’s a place which makes you count your blessings. There’s a small musuem underneath which tells some of the story. The Nazis besieged the city completely for 17 months and to a large extent for a further year. Well over a million people (maybe many more) died of starvation, cold and the shelling and shooting, including 100,000 in January 1942 alone. Despite this, later that year what was left of the Leningrad Radio Orchestra managed to stage a live broadcast performance of Shostakovich’s 7th Symphony. The musicians’ physical state was so bad that they kept collapsing during the rehearsals. Three of them died. Tough people. Very, very tough people.

VB

7 Likes

Wow, heck of a monument and incredible story :cry:

Time for a bit of Islamic architecture

8 Likes

Last picture brings back memories of a great visit to Seville in the early 2000’s. Some may recognise it from Lawrence of Arabia as well.

The Umayyad Mosque, Damascus. I do hope it survived the war intact, a stunning building. I really should scan my negatives of my time in Syria.

1 Like

Faisal Mosque, in Islamabad, Pakistan - a very different take on the design for a Mosque. A stunning space inside, and had lovely gardens in the grounds. The street food outside was a amazing. I’m not religious in the slightest, but I loved visiting here when I had cause to visit Pakistan

3 Likes

I rather like this.

2 Likes