Architecture

Jim Thompson’s House in Bangkok - Sure there are more beautiful buildings in Bangkok and yes this is a tourist attraction but the atmosphere of this place is very evocative. the House is basically a set of traditional Thai houses brought together with walkways - Something similar exists in the mind garden

1 Like

Lovely place to visit.

Not particularly keen on the house itself, but the Jardin Majorelle has to be one of the best gardens.

(The Japanese Gardin in SF also comes to mind.)

Probably my favourite modern practice.

3 Likes

This could have gone in a few different threads, but as it’s got building stuff I’m putting it here…

1 Like

Glass, concrete and cedar box.

Don’t forget the stone:wink:

1 Like

Kevin McCloud would love it.

Now you’ve gone too far.

1 Like

There should be more of this, a building that plays music when it rains

6 Likes

Midcentury Modernism, that’s my thing.

2 Likes

Never mind the architecture - I love the style of these illustrations

3 Likes

The Lofotr Viking Museum (Lofotr Vikingmuseum) is a historical museum based on a reconstruction and archaeological excavation of a Viking chieftain’s village on the island of Vestvågøya in the Lofoten archipelago in Nordland county, Norway.

A smaller example illustrating the marine inspiration. Boaty McBoathouse?

2 Likes

Windows?

At each end of the roof ridge (or keel) there’s a little triangular opening I think. That’ll let light in as well as allowing the smoke from the fire to blow away.

VB

The Lucky Knot bridge in Changsha, China.

6 Likes

That’s fecking brilliant, that is.

What about this fad? http://spitalfieldslife.com/2017/12/31/on-facadism/

1 Like

That’s a new one on me. Horrible.

Sad fact is that it is not a fad at all, something that has gone on for years in our so-called ‘conservation areas’ to maximise development in spite of planning constraints. Having worked on a project that included some element of facade retention the only happy party following completion was the client.

The old museum of St Albans might be going that way - it’s being converted into flats, and the developers have retained just the façade. I don’t know what they are doing for the rest of it, but my hopes aren’t high.

That pub in Bethnal Green is fucking funny though!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like