Architecture

Some of the books even have words to go with the picture.

2 Likes

I bet you’ve already coloured it in and eaten the crayons.

2 Likes

A description which should have made it clear who I am referring to…

1 Like

Is there a train station near by

A couple of miles away in the centre of Leamington, which he has been to previously to go to the real tennis club in town.

Harry will do anything for attention these days.

1 Like

The estate is featured in the latest C20 society magazine (again). Apparently the floors are “west African ‘Loliondo’”. I would be very surprised if anyone went to the trouble of pulling them up before carpeting. As I said, they didn’t in our house.

Next time I’m up I’ll have to remember to pull up a corner somewhere

1 Like

Nice bit of Arups po-mo listed down your way @Waxy

I’d like to shake the hand of the legend who realised that it could be a gig venue.

We were there yesterday and to quote FoL, “this where they come to do drugs and stab each other”.

2 Likes

I like the Wapping Wharf bit across the water but then, I’m a tourist.

1 Like

Stop looking at the buildings you absolute beasts! :laughing:

2 Likes

From memory, and it’s a bit jaded now, that place was the HQ of an element of Lloyds Bank that moved out of London, bypassing Reading. It was considered a bit of a win in the day, choosing Bristol over London. I always thought that part of the development of the docks was utterly souless, office blocks and nothing else.

It got a bit better as the development moved toward the city centre directly opposite the arnolfini, now accessed via that trumpet bridge

Did end up losing the exhibition centre, or at least most of it, to a row of dull pubs and eateries.

1 Like

Looks like an interesting article:

Wow that’s ugly.

2 Likes

The problem with listing something is that people have to live and work there. If it’s unsuitable, then the residents will suffer, with businesses not setting up there etc.

That said, there’s a 400 year old building in the centre of St Albans that is costing the shop a fortune, both in financial terms and lost opening time, to being up to useful (functional and safe) spec. It’s listed, and clearly we want them to keep the nice oldie worldy look.

There’s a balance between things, and it’s never an easy one to find, especially when something is in the “amazing but pig ugly” category like Cumbernauld.

2 Likes

Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls

4 Likes