Armchair politics

Trump, Celtic and turntables. Apart from that nothing at all. :smiley:

The question on the lips of the enlightened is:

1. How much will the ‘Vote Stronzetto’ limited edition t-Shirt cost?

2. Will we have to que overnight?

3. Will they be available as a quick strike sale or by invitation only?

N.B: Kanye West, Mick Jagger, Harry Ramsden and Dawn French have all been banned for attempting to corner the market.

queue

Isn’t it just fucking obvious that Corbyn isn’t anti-Semitic? He may have conflated hating the establishment with issues around some Jewish establishment dynasties, and we all know he’s no fan of the Israeli state, but who is? He has miserably failed to deal with reports of anti-Semitism, but he’s miserably failed at most other things too, so that’s no indication of anything.

I think he’s probably a really nice guy, and will be horrified at being considered anti-Semitic. I think he’s fucking useless, but I certainly don’t think he’s antisemitic.

5 Likes

I’m no fan of JC but I’m not sure what he could have said that would have satisfied those that are accusing him.

As you say he’s not antisemec, he’s critical of the state of Israel as many people are.

2 Likes

I’d say the jury’s still out on that one.
He professes to be a man of peace but so far I’ve only ever seen him lionising people we would consider/label terrorists.
I genuinely don’t know the answer but has he ever laid a wreath to, for example, soldiers killed by the IRA or Israeli citizens killed by Hamas?
He seems to be completely one sided in this respect.
The other point is that as leader of the party he IS responsible for how Labour deals with it.
He is failing dismally in that respect.

1 Like

How d’ya mean? :grin:

Not sure about the we here. I consider the Muricans to be the world’s biggest terrorists and all of our govts since the war have supported them without fail, Tory and Labour alike.

Yep…

In his role as leader of the opposition party he was duty bound.
The previous wreath layings were prior to that and were therefore a clear personal statement.

No. At the time that the issue of anti-semitism blew up around Ken Livingstone I was pretty certain that Corbyn was not anti-semitic but as the clusterfuck has developed my views have changed and I’m now all but convinced that he is no friend of the Jews.

1 Like

No arguments from me on that score, we’ve often backed some spectacularly nasty people.
The American government…
The UK government…
The Israeli government…
Hamas…
How many “cunts” am I allowed again?

2 Likes

Fixed for accuracy. And Yes, you can separate the two.

2 Likes
  1. Ish.
1 Like

I think that’s the problem right there. Putting the Israelis and Jews together.

I have no problem at all with Jewish folk or Murican folk but I have a huge problem with the Israeli government and the Murican govt.

The issue for me is when certain groups conflate the two and claim that criticising the govt is the same as criticising the people. It’s not in anyway the same.

2 Likes

If you adopt the @Jim method and group everyone together you kill many birds with one stone. Or you could buy a few off Terry, I think he has a few left…

1 Like

I’m not doing that. I’m saying he is no friend of Israel nor of the Jewish people. It is my opinion that he buys into the hard left trope that Jews are capitalists, bankers, wield disproportionate influence etc.

Sadly it’s even messier than that. The American and Israeli governments would claim that they are democracies and actually those claims aren’t unreasonable. Quite a few of the policies that many of us disapprove of (Israeli settlements, for example, or the cosy relations between the US government and the Saudis) have persisted through multiple electoral cycles. So in a sense the majority of the people in each country have at least tolerated those policies. Do we still have no problem with the people ?

I’m afraid that the best I can say is that personally I have no problem with Jewish people arising from their religion or their ethnicity (if Jewish people have a distinct ethnicity, which is open to debate). But I have some issues with quite a few Israelis, many of whom are Jewish, over their political views.

VB

1 Like

Lots of people, with good reason, are no friend of the state of Israel.

Does your opinion of Corbyn’s thoughts come with any evidence?

2 Likes