Armchair politics

Alas I don’t think I’ve got enough savings for the number I’d need…

1 Like

That’ll be because Brexit has weakened the currency so much.

VB

1 Like

No, just my opinion which I base on the fact that his personal politics derive from and appear to be stuck in that hard left student mindset; his utter failure to put the scandal to bed, the manner in which he has engaged or failed to engage with the Jewish community in this country and the fact that he has not visited Israel.

I also think there is some mileage in Dershowitz’s point that his focus is fixated on Israel while perhaps not holding other countries to the same standards. Has he had much to say about the Russians in Tzechnya or the Ukraine, the Kurds, the people of Western Sahara, the Tibetans?

This is why I only trade in Spondulicks :+1:

1 Like

Except those he is friends with.

4 Likes

I’m yet again surprised this needs spelling out and I apologise if I sound arrogant, I can’t think of another way of saying this.

I have no problem with Americans, Jews, Indians, Inuits etc etc.

People make decisions and take actions through choice. What they were born as is clearly not a choice. So I can criticise a black person for stealing or a Jewsish person for bad driving and I’m not being ist in anyway.

So, yes I can take issue with Jewish people who choose to support the Israeli govt. But it’s not an attack on them being Jewish. It’s an attack on some of the choices and decisions they’ve made. Same with the Americans who voted for Cadet Bone-Spurs.

Another word I haven’t heard in yonks

I am, if nothing else, Ol’ Skool :+1:

1 Like

Do you really think it’s reasonable to criticise him for what he hasn’t done?

I’d wager he hasn’t mentioned lots of things in his life as all of us haven’t.

No need to apologise - you don’t sound arrogant. You sound angry at being misunderstood, that’s all. We agree about the basic point. I just wanted to tighten the language and make it clear that it’s OK to have a problem with (some) Americans, Jews, Indians, Inuits etc etc as long as the problem is not that they are Americans, Jews, Indians, Inuits etc etc.

VB

2 Likes

Of course the Unluckiest Man In PoliticsTM isn’t an anti-Semite.

Remind me again why the Labour party won’t adopt the IHRA definition of anti-Semitism.

With respect, have you read it?

Not only have I read it, I listened to an hour’s debate involving Arron Bastani trying to defend why Labour haven’t signed it. He didn’t do very well, but then he isn’t very good.

So with respect, back to my original question.

I would hazard a guess at unconscious bias combined with a student politics belief that everything can be improved by a committee debating it.

Well, the mischief makers say it’s because the two specific examples Corbyn wants to leave out leave him open to an anti-Semitism charge.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it mentioned that Seumus Milne would also fall foul of the full IHRA definitions and examples

I have no idea what the Labour party’s issue is but mine is this:

One part of the piece

‘However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be
regarded as antisemitic.’

A good and sensible clause, if you will.

But further along.

‘Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence
of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.’

Two problems here: conflating two separate points that are unconnected and contradicting the earlier point about being able to criticise Israel as one would other nations. South Africa was, rightly, called racist for years. Israel’s treatment on Palestine is close if not the same as SAs was regarding non white people.

1 Like

But there is a distinction between the applied political policies of the current government of a state and the state itself. That clause aims at those who try to argue that Israel by definition will never be acceptable.

Have we turned into PFM while I wasn’t looking?

2 Likes

All the time they behave they way they do towards Palestine (and against UN rulings) they never will be. In the same way that SA was a pariah until they dropped the apartheid from their legislation.