Armchair politics

Ignore these Twitter timestamps, there’s some fuckery going on with our board software and them. 10:30 yesterday morning.

In which case he’s just a knob.

Oh dear

Yorkshire ex-cricketer is an idiot about Brexit/politics. If I was his other half I would be careful of door frames…

Ex-cricketer who represented Yorkshire.

He was born in Manchester.

Lol, he’s deleted it now :grin:

Jess Phillips of Labour is absolutely skewering Andrea Leadsome over the restoration of the whip to Griffiths and Elphicke. The Guardian provides this quote of Phillip’s speech

She’s so cute, so sweet, I can’t wait to beat her. Can she take a beating?”

Not my words, but the words of the MP for Burton [Griffiths], as he was barraging two of his female constituents with thousands of sexual text messages.

Last night Mrs Leadsom’s party gave him and the MP for Dover [Elphicke] the whip back without any due process.

What message does this send about how any process here in this place can ever be trusted?

Leadsome claims not to have been involved in the decision to restore the whip to howls of ‘shame’. She looks like she is chewing on a stale dogshit sandwich (even more than usual) while defending this strange decision.

There has been no justification for the decision to restore the whip yet, nor has the process been explained…

5 Likes

4 Likes

Shit’s kicking off all over the place now.

What’s going on??!

Fuck knows. It’ll be fun though…

Lineker’s vocal support of FBPE, I suspect Agnew must have opposing views? Although by singling out Lineker, is he not making a political point himself?

1 Like

4 Likes

It was an odd decision anyway, given that it was expected that one would vote for her and one against.

1 Like

I didn’t know that so yes even more daft

Marina Hyde on good form

4 Likes

Andrew Bridgen, who should be playing Captain Hook’s dog in a Leicester panto

That really made me laugh

2 Likes

Not sure I agree with all of this, but he makes a decent point about reporting trends as well as breaking news. The lack of proper analysis in the media in general and on the TV in particular is very worrying.

1 Like

Interesting piece.

I’m not sure traditional media, particularly TV and newspapers have ever done analysis as he’s suggesting. The nature of both is for shortish pieces of news, whether this is done to reflect peoples’ attention spans or space issues is up for discussion.

Real analysis have always come from books or academic papers and who reads them?

tl;dr :smiley:

1 Like

I think there was a notable shift once the concept of dedicated 24/7 news channels were introduced. The act of preparing for a single, hour-long news programme generally gave news editors and producers at least some pause for thought. Now, it’s relentless.

Social media channels have only magnified this effect.

2 Likes