Armchair politics

4d chess mate, 4d chess…

1 Like

Beyond my pay grade, Pete, I’m only semi competent with 2d chess :grin:

1 Like

Rubbing his hands with anticipation then ‘oops, how the fuck did this happen?’ Knight takes Bishop, check…

According to the Beeb just now two Conservatives seriously considering joining them.
Whaddya reckon, Grieves and Soubry?

More likely than John Deadwood and Jacob Rees-Bogg, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. It all seems a bit early in the day for that.

Just noticed this, the Duchess of Downing Street died, earlier this month.

I wonder what she (and Wilson) would have made of the current flock of incompetents, on both sides. I would imagine, not much.

Wilson, wish he was PM now. One of our better Politicians, rarely given his due credit.

2 Likes

Yeah, he was alright. Also, he would have made a far better leader of the opposition than the current incumbent.

Excellent.

Derek Hatton is on Today

It went exactly as well as you’d imagine it did

How many do the IG need to have the balance of power.

If they had eight, they could replace the DUP in the Confidence and Supply arrangement.

Meanwhile, on Planet Zog

6 Likes

I’m deeply saddened by the UK’s recent descent into the kind of country in which I can take little pride. Sajid Javid is clearly a heartless Tory cunt pandering to the right of his party.

1 Like

I believe a very large percentage of the population disagree with you and agree with Sajid. I believe you are in a small minority. The most left wing people I know were adamant she shouldnt be allowed back

Personally, I was quite undecided about it, she was a child and is still very young.

However, her comments were about as bad as they could have been. She couldn’t have conducted herself much worse in her statements when appealing to come back.

I’ve concluded she was a lost cause. For us to have had to have spent hundereds of thousands on attempting to rehabilitating her (and to have probably failed) wasn’t worth the risk. Good riddance.

1 Like

It certainly feels like a knee jerk reaction rather than a considered decision.
Whether that decision is upheld in the appeals courts remains to be seen and will probably drag on for a couple of years.
Meanwhile her son is a British Citizen and it maybe the only citizenship he has, how the responsibilities to him are resolved is another bag of worms.

This is what I believe too.

By way of evidence, looking at the list of open petitions to HMG View all petitions - Petitions the one calling for a ban on the return of all ISIS members is at the very top - first out of 1,671. And that says “all” so it’s presumably asking for a change in the law so that even those who would be made stateless could be banned from returning. It’s about to go through half a million votes. That’s more than the Leave the EU in March without a deal and the Grant a people’s vote if Parliament rejects the WA petitions added together. People really feel strongly about it. Unfortunately, from a statistical point of view, no-one’s felt strongly enough to start a petition pleading on this woman’s behalf. It would be interesting to see how much support it got.

VB

An appalling populist decision. The bloke is toxic.

4 Likes

As I understand it she is a British citizen and has no other citizenship so under International law we are unable to make her stateless, her child is irrelevant to her situation, but will have citizenship his own right. She is British and this would be supported on appeal at the highest levels of the courts who don’t deal in emotion.

So why has the British Govt raised this now? If they had kept quiet she and her baby would have just stayed in the camp without any of the support they require to return to the UK and time would have taken it’s coarse. Any decision would have taken months or years to reach a crisis point.

I think the driver is the precedent this would make. While she and her child might be seen to be relatively safe to allow home It would open the flood gates to many more highly dangerous IS members who we just don’t capacity to control.

According to the BBC article “Whitehall sources” believe differently. Presumably that’s the basis on which Javid’s acted. It looks like that’s going to be tested in court.

VB