BBQing Diary

Korean BBQ. Quick grille rather than slow BBQ, but really good flavour.

More belly, hr of smoke + 5 hrs low and slow, into the foil and should be nice.

Got these spices as a present and they’re fucking good

8 Likes

1 Like

Did you purchase Mark?

I have tried smoking short rib several times, both cut up or as one piece (Jacobs Ladder). I’ve found them actually pretty difficult to get right. I think they need wrapping pretty quickly, or they dry out. If you buy the 4 ribs in one piece, they stay a bit more moist but there is less surface area to get the smoke into. I do think if you get well marbled ones they have the potential to be incredible, just not quite cracked them myself!

I was holding off until I’d found the right recipe. There’s a couple of options in the Weber bbq book, and yeah yeah Jamie Oliver, but this looks like the one I’m most likely to do and it doesn’t use a bbq. Well, not mine anyway as I can’t reliably hold 100C for 8 hours in a Weber.

2 Likes

Mmmm, looks good!

2.4Kg Lamb leg (rubbed with garlic, anchovies, capers, rosemary, lemon juice and zest) cooked indirect @ 170 for 1’45”. Beech smoke. Rested in foil for 1 hour.

After carving and scraping of bark.

Crisp, smoky bark, pink as a really pink thing inside.
Possibly my best yet :+1:

15 Likes

Btw are these ever on sale? I’ve checked periodically over the last year or two but never seen them reduced. I guess they probably won’t be now heading into spring/summer, but thought I’d check.

Autumn into Winter I’ve seen them reduced. We bought ours in a November from a National garden store chain.
Just keep looking, I guess.

Yeah, I looked at the end of last summer but didn’t see anything. My current BBQ is falling to pieces so I might just bite the bullet and get one in the knowledge I’ll probably see it discounted a week later:)

Ours was the same price for ages, then we managed to get the model we wanted for the price of the lesser model. They aren’t ever reduced by significant amounts unless damaged or a shit colour.

First of the year. Rack of lamb marinated for 24 hours in olive oil, lemon, garlic and rosemary.

Seared on the bone side and then 20 min at 160 or so until the thermometer said stop. Rested for 10 minutes while the backed spuds were browned off (after they were microwaved)

Lovely.

7 Likes

Weber are a bit overpriced now compared to the competition. For roughly the same money you could get a Napoleon Pro with a far superior grate and a soft close hinged lid.

Napoleon PRO22K 57cm Charcoal Kettle BBQ (thebbqshop.co.uk)

Either that or an Aldi Kamado which is far better for slow cooking but needs a bit of practice.

Gardenline Kamado Ceramic Egg BBQ - ALDI UK

1 Like

The Napoleon Pro looks really good. If I was in the market, I’d probably go for one.

2 Likes

This I got mine for I think £160 and that was October half term from a garden centre

1 Like

Were supposed to be quick ribs but I got pissed and forgot them…

2 hrs with rub and apple smoke and then 5hrs in foil, thought they would be shit without suace but actually very nice…

7 Likes

From a tenting session back in February\March…

Anyone know what animal produces poo that shape?

2 Likes

Bison.:star_struck:

2 Likes