BBQing Diary

Finally sorted my dakota fire hole.

16 Likes

5 Likes

Euphemism for @Jim’s arse I reckon.

2 Likes

41620_1_600.jpeg

2 Likes

I cannot see the image it’s just a small blue question mark on my screen. Is it this one?

Woman Yelling At Cat Meme - Imgflip

Spatchcock piri piri chicken, orzo salad, grilled veg with a lemon scallion dressing and bbq little gem with almond caesar dressing.

10 Likes

Bbq pineapple with nutella (half

eaten)

2 Likes

Bourbon glazed bbq pork chop. Garlicky bbqd sweet potato friesa with a creamy spring onion dip. Cucumber scallion lime mint salad.

12 Likes

Today a few updates to the new BBQ area, ad hoc cooking prep table and bench added plus a tidy up.
My Dakota pit air entrainment effort via drilled out plastic container and through hole via copper pipework connected to an old buried underground washing machine drum seems to work extremely well. Three BBQ’s in four days verify this as a really smoke free and safe MO.
Squatting to cook is a bit uncomfortable but should help with my posture.

7 Likes

Waitrose ribs with hickory smoke, unfortunately I had no foil so chucked them in tins back2back and chucked a load of nduja in there to add moisture and oil.

What a major fucking win the flavour was outstanding @Ruprecht give it a try…

10 Likes

This looks and sounds fantastic!

Also did some boiled new pots, smashed and added them to the tray to soak up the oil, bloody lovely.

3 Likes

Need a new bbq. Would be cool if it could do some smoking as well as straightforward grilling (will be used mostly for grilling tbh) . And it needs to last forever…

Prepared to spend a bit of wedge, but not stupid money

Saw this which looks pretty cool,.

There’s a bigger one, but it’s getting out of my comfort zone for the price

Or maybe a traditional offset:

Any other suggestions, up to about £700/£800. Something good for less would be nice, please don’t feel the need to spend my entire budget…

Costco has a few, sometimes cheaper in store or on offer now and then,

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Smokers/Masterbuilt-Gravity-Series-800-Digital-Charcoal-Grill-Smoker/p/2127148

I have this one:
https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Smokers/Louisiana-Grills-900-Series-Electric-Wood-Pellet-Grill-And-Smoker-Cover/p/1900767

Otherwise get a Webber Bullet thing. (And a normal one for grilling)

2 Likes

Remember yours from Settle, it seemed really good. Can you use anything other than pellets? I’m about to have a surfeit of cherry wood, so being able to use chunks of that would be good.

Any issues with it?

Just pellets. Main issue is the powder coat/paint has been a bit rubbish and it’s coming off in places, nothing I’m that bothered about.

It’s been great though, mostly set and forget. I used to enjoy the faff of smoking stuff but it got tiresome after 10 years. Now I like to just press a button :grin:

4 Likes

Bought the Masterbuilt 800, found it for £649, here including the griddle (more like a plancha, actually) and the griddle/plancha specific manifold that the Costco deal at £699 doesn’t include. I just thought it was more suited to my needs, mostly grilling, but wanting a fairly idiot proof smoker too, plus I like using charcoal and chunks of wood rather than pellets, so it seems like a fairly flexible solution.

There’s some reviews that call into question it’s potential for longevity, but I’ll just look after it as best as I can and see how it goes.

Once I get it dialled in, would be great to have a few of you round for a meatup?

3 Likes

Still looks like all you do is press a button. So its a win.

1 Like

This was a major consideration. Ritchie @Wayward will be horrified at the lack of faff.

1 Like

I’d go with that if I was buying another, pellets need ordering online, though I have never managed to run out.

I think I paid £579 for mine, not £899 though.

1 Like