BBQing Diary

The pricing for these things is all over the place, lots of places have mine at £949, or £799, but then have have bundles that are pretty much just a couple of bags of ok-ish briquettes and some wood chips that take up to it a grand.

Must admit I’m struggling with £60-ish for a cover though, will probably just get a big green tarp for a tenner to begin with….

At the time I got mine I couldn’t find anywhere else in the UK carrying them. Only Traegers for £££.

Mine goes in a big outdoor box.

1 Like

This has inspired me, smoking all the things on Saturday.

3 Likes

Popped into a wholesale butcher shop thats on on my round earlier, Asked about a proper full brisket and they’re about £50, and would easily feed 20 peeps*
by the looks of it, so great value. The butcher was also into his smoking and said for him, the best bang for the money is pork shoulder.

*or approx 5 meatmen.

4-6. (not kidding)

Not that bothered about pulled pork, so nearly always do ribs.

1 Like

eg BBQing Diary - #1312 by edd9000

Fed 6. That’s a 15"x17" tray.

Mine too. Take the hint. Hopefully he knows his meat as well as mine.

1 Like

The one he showed me looked massive, think 8.5kg?

So yes, only 5 of us. :grinning:

About that. You lose a lot of weight in the cook. But there is usually very little left over. Enough for a sandwich or two.

1 Like

Watched so many bbq reviews over the last couple of nights I’m getting meat sweats just by clicking on the YouTube icon.

3 Likes

Anything pork use this, is fantastic on ribs with hickory smoke

1 Like

6 Likes

Seems now’s a good time to get a Weber Master-Touch as it’s on offer. However I just saw this Kamado Joe - Kettle Joe on offer too. In classic AA style, it’s more than I want to spend (but eye is caught by the discount :roll_eyes: ) and I’m not going to be doing much smoking. However is it still worth getting over the Weber? I.e. is it a much better BBQing (not smoking) unit?

Edit: For those that care, this video answers the question: Weber Master Touch VS. Kamado Joe's The Kettle Joe!! (The Charcoal Kettle Showdown!!) - YouTube

For me, probably not. Think I’ll save the money and put it towards some restaurant grade charcoal and Moar Meat.

I can’t remember which way round it is, but - US brisket is grain fed and has more marbling and cooks low and slow better. UK raised is grass fed and doesn’t come out as well. I wouldn’t use a British one for low and slow again. FYI.

Cheers Tristan, the one I was shown did look pretty lean (albeit hard to tell with it being sealed in plastic).

How would you adjust for the difference?

I didn’t have much success with a British one that I got from my butcher.

I have seen European ones recently advertised as being grain fed. Its obviously a thing.

I’d spend a bit more and get a grain fed one.

1 Like

Getting to grips with the new fire pit - Nine bbq’s in 11days. Simple stuff so far. Really pleased with the operation. Easy start and minimal smoke process.
Spatchcock chicken is planned tomorrow. A motor drive rotisserie is being planned.

12 Likes

You can’t, it’s just going to be dryer no matter what you do. However all I cook is grass fed, still tastes great, at approx 1/3rd the price.

1 Like

I mean £120 for a brisket? Nope nope nope.

1 Like

But I’m pretty sure you’ve done a USDA one? Apologies if I’m mistaken.

I’m more ASDA tbh.