BBQing Diary

Nope. Never bothered with brisket when I lived stateside. All ribs all the time.

Had it plenty at restaurants though, and the big bbq competitions like Lakeland pig fest.

2 Likes

This one :slight_smile:

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/m/napoleon/napoleon-professional-charcoal-kettle.asp

1 Like

Had a little look back in time and found a post where you were thinking about it, but balked at the price.

Will get round to a big brisket eventually, will probably start with ribs and shoulder until I know what I’m doing, my experiments with small briskets on a bbq that’s pretty much just meant for grilling have been variable to say the least, mostly because the temp tends to get away from me.

Masterbuilt should be arriving tomorrow, it’s a 2 man palletised delivery (102kg, plus the pallet) and I’m not going to be home, kids have got strict instructions on where I want it going…

The biggest thing is temp control which your unit has.

So now it’s just about learning when it’s done which is just experience and preference.

Get a thermapen if you don’t have one.

1 Like

Got a dual probe meat thermometer, but, watching the videos, a thermapen is also great for judging tenderness, so I’ll be getting one.

Yeah exactly.

Is the smoker coming to Settle? :grin:

Maybe, it’s a bit big for the Fiesta, so i will have to see if I can borrow Claire’s SMax and probably stick it in our trailer. Plus need to learn how use it.

1 Like

Fill with fuel push button.

1 Like

I hope so!

The wood going in the ash pan is a bit strange, probably want it running an hour before you put the food in.

I’m going to be dreaming about bbq until Saturday now.

1 Like

You can mix up charcoal and wood in the hopper too, sort of put a layer of charcoal then a lump of wood and repeat, like a lasagna. I saw one guy put a big split of pecan vertically in the hopper and fill around it with briquettes which he said worked great. :man_shrugging:

I’m sure almost anything works, it’s quite hard to over smoke. Sometimes too much wood can make it run too hot, but it’s got a controller so probably not an issue.

1 Like

Literally not a single video I’ve watched has said the temp got away from them.

I appreciate the majority of YouTube reviews are a mix of marketing, recipients of free samples or self validation, but I’ve not found anything that slags it in that respect.

One thing that pops up fairly often is grease fires, where grease drips onto the manifold and then flows over it past the “exhaust ports”. You can buy a mod to prevent that, which is basically a W shaped bit of stainless sheet which sits on top of the manifold and channels the grease away from the ports, for £90,

There’s a little engineering workshop at the stables so I asked them how much for them to make one and its about £20…

1 Like

ST Avec railer for the win

Hi Rob, I mostly stuck with the point end with brisket when I was bbqing a lot and only tried grass fed.

The most reliable method I found was to smoke for a short while, I don’t remember the temperature threshold, 70°? - will check - prior to it stalling anyway. You take it off regardless of what it’s doing and triple wrap it in clingfilm and a further layer of foil. Then bung it back in the smoker until it hits 92°. After that you wrap it in old towels and rest it in a cooler for a couple of hours. I think it probably tastes best at 60 something anyway. Both wrapping and resting make a huge difference.

2 Likes

Have you considered sous vide? :thinking::crazy_face:

I saw that. Why’s it better than the Weber?

Hinged lid and cast iron grate which hold heat better and gives a nicer sear.

2 Likes

Ceramic type BBQ’s are much better with fuel efficiency because of better air sealing and insulation properties of the ceramic. I would say they use around half the amount of charcoal. Long cook times such as eight or ten hours are very easy to achieve without topping up or faffy charcoal alignment. There is a fair argument that if you bbq lot they can be a very cost effective purchase.

2 Likes